Cifas nightmare

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 563 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

On 20/10/2022 at 00:21, plke788sy2 said:

yesterday they emailed saying the association will be removed in 48 hours. But during all of this a notice of correction was placed on my equifax account from equifax stating : "NOTICE OF DISPUTE - THE INDIVIDUAL CONCERNED HAS DISPUTED THE ACCURACY OF THE INFORMATION REGISTERED AT THIS ADDRESS AND WE HAVE NOW CONTACTED THE SUBSCRIBER CONCERNED. CARE SHOULD THEREFORE BE TAKEN WHEN USING THE DATA AT THIS ADDRESS TO ASSESS THE CREDITWORTHINESS OF THE INDIVIDUAL CONCERNED." The above notice will be removed in the next few days.

This is perfectly normal for the process you state, I wouldnt worry about it. 

But then during all of this I got an alert from clearscore saying something new on my account was coming in. Which was / will be a  a CIFAS marker to be applied to my name "Victim of Impersonation — Use, by another person, of this name and/or address." it has not yet arrived on my credit file but is coming in any day now.

This is a good thing - No need to worry. CIFAS markers dont appear on Credit Files - But Cat 0 / Cat 2s do :) 

It came back today and to my horror I found that I have 2 fraud markers from 2017 - using a false address / adverse credit . Along with a soon to be added "Victim of Impersonation — Use, by another person, of this name and/or address." this I found out today was from my application for a newday/Fluid card. So yes they are doing this because they think some one impersonated me - but it was me who did the application no one else.

The 2 cat 4 cifas markers are from 2017 - I only found out about them today!

Now when I made this applications back in 2017 I did yes skip my last address as it had bad credit rating. Stupid of me I know but i didnt think anything about it back then. I had just moved to a new home and was looking for a basic bank account.

As non factual information was given then it is likely that the CIFAS Markers will stand. They do last for 6 years. 2023 is your cutoff when they will be removed. 

Then today concerned about what was showing I applied for a new phone with o2. I have had a contract phone with them for over 7 years and never had an issue. This time it was rejected with an hour. No reason given ( I have emailed them to ask why )

My concern now is will I now loose all my banking facilities because of the notice of dispute which does mean no matter what banks etc need to manual verify - but that should be removed in a few days but also the "protective marker" means I wont get any instant online credit decisions and in my mind im thinking and worrying that because of that banks / credit cards etc will dig deeper and find the 2 cat 4 fraud markers from 2017 and close everything down.

This is normal, given the 1st quote I did above, most companies will decline if the risk factor is too high. Try again in 6 months when not so fresh, you should be alright. Even though its not negative as a Cat 1 marker - It will make applying for credit harder. 

My concern now is will I now loose all my banking facilities because of the notice of dispute which does mean no matter what banks etc need to manual verify - but that should be removed in a few days but also the "protective marker" means I wont get any instant online credit decisions and in my mind im thinking and worrying that because of that banks / credit cards etc will dig deeper and find the 2 cat 4 fraud markers from 2017 and close everything down.

Been totally stressed the past few days.

If I loose my bank account im totally screwed .

im self employed and use paypal as main method of billing customers - which also is now exposed - and it feels like a pack of cards about to fall.

So does cat 4 cifas markers mean I will loose my banking facilities even though they are 5 years old ?

Trust me, the banks will already know. From a standpoint of CIFAS Cat 1 and Cat 4 Markers, if anything was to happen, it would have happened by now. The one that really gets under their skins is a Cat 6 - Its like the worse one you can get. 

--------------------------

0 Protective Registration -- Recorded at the request of the person named.
1 False Identity Fraud -- Use of a false name with an address.
2 Victim of Impersonation -- Use, by another person, of this name and/or address.
3 Application Fraud (Facility Granted) -- Use of name reasonably believed to be genuine, but with one or more material falsehoods in personal details or other relevant information -; the facility was granted.
4 Application Fraud (Facility Refused) -- Use of a name reasonably believed to be genuine, but with one or more material falsehoods in personal details or other relevant information -; the facility was refused.
5 Conversion -- Conversion (disposal or sale) of goods (to which the hirer/buyer does not have title) under a hire purchase, conditional sale, contract hire, leasing or rental agreement.
6 First Party Fraud -- Opening an account or other facility for a fraudulent purpose, or the fraudulent misuse of an account or facility.
7 Aiding & Abetting -- Aiding, abetting or assisting, or conspiring with, another or others to fraudulently procure credit, or other facilities, or hire products or services.
8 Insurance Claims Fraud -- The making of a claim(s) under one or more insurance policy (ies) with one or more material falsehoods or by presenting a false or forged document.

--------------------------

It will financially blacklist you for 6 years - Banks wont touch you, even with basic accounts. 

How do I know this, I have a Cat 4 myself that falls off later next year similar to you - Long history with a Mobile Op who shall not be named...

After about 3 years, companies tend to ignore them as they deem it less of a risk, its like aged defaults, they tend to be discarded after that period. 

I have a CC with Newday, I have multiple contracts with another Mobile Op. 2 x Bank Accounts with Challenger Banks (I hate the Mainstream)

So I am in a similar position to you. 

As for Paypal - They are not on the CIFAS Data Sharing List for the (NFD) National Fraud Database or the IFD (Internal Fraud Database) 

image.thumb.png.ea41c1563e8c542ec5de97dcfa559eda.png

@dx100uk - Please can you keep the post quotes on this one as its quite complex due to the number of points raised :)

By the way - Cat 0 and Cat 1s last 13 months accordingly. They are designed to be protective, all other Cats are 6 years. 

TL;DR - Stop stressing - Its all good. Its for your good, likely a oversite on the mum passing and being financially linked to her. (If it hasnt cleared off) 

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Stay away from thinkmoney - Get a bank account with a proper provider but dont do it now with the CIFAS Cat 1 Marker on there! 

You can challenge the CRA info sure, but see if you can get Council Tax stuff from the Council (They usually can give you a formal statement confirming the dates you started paying etc) 

Also dont worry about the Electoral Roll - You could be on there 2 years after you moved in because you only registered to vote during that time. 

Cat 2 / Cat 4 tend to be in the application stage, 

Cat 6 is when account is opened and the person uses it to defraud a company directly. It could be an existing customer who has been with them a long time who takes advantage of them. 

Remember CIFAS is all about the creditor believing they have enough evidence to prosecute someone if there was a criminal case, but the marker acts as like a punishment of sorts. 

Dont forget CRA updates can take upto 8 weeks to fully update your view - It may take 5 days for it to filter through for full removal. 

The lessons from this experience -

- STOP APPLYING FOR CREDIT! 

- GET YOUR HOUSE IN ORDER WITH ALL INFORMATION 

- USE COMPLAINT PROCEDURES ETC

• Like 1

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Youre welcome - Glad I was able to put you at a little bit of rest :) 

May I ask that you make a donation to the site to help us with costs etc? We are a free resource but need have costs behinds the scenes to make this available to all.

• Like 1
  • I agree 1

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis