Hermes "We've got it" stuck for 20+ days, stolen Macbook

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 841 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey guys stumbled across this forum and read a whole bunch of these articles, so thought it would be good both for myself and others to share my experience by creating a post here and going through the claims process.

Details as follows:

Date Sent: 9 Feb 22

what was the item: Macbook air 13
what was its value: £747.46 eBay sold price
was the item properly declared: Yes
was the value properly declared: linked to packlink directly from ebay so all details were automatically forwarded
did you take out the so-called insurance: No
did you book this with HERMES directly or did you use a broker such as Packlink or parcel2go?: Packlink
Was the parcel simply lost? Or is it damaged and then destroyed? Or is it simply damage?: "Lost"

I sold a Macbook air via ebay for £747.46 and unfortunately decided to use packlink/ Hermes as the delivery option with no insurance bought. Item was dropped at a collection point alongside a few other items I sold and guess what only the expensive laptop was not able to be delivered...

having jumped through 50 hurdles to contact hermes and packlink they both just say the package is lost make a lost item claim.
Current position as of today: i've now refunded the buyer, have an enquiry still open with both hermes and packlink and waiting for the lost item claims to be answered.

So having read a bunch of similar experiences on this forum my steps are as follows:

1. Wait for the lost item claim to come through and them to offer a measly 25 quid

2. Reject this offer with a formal complaint and ask for the full amount to be refunded

3. Wait 14 days for a reply then send letter of claim

4. Wait another 14 days and register on Money claim site and prepare POC there during the wait time

5. Once 14 days over proceed with submitting the claim which gives them 28 days to respond before I can push for judgement

6. Go to court or receive a private settlement from hermes

will continue to update as proceedings follow and appreciate any help and advice in advance

Edited by gydex95

You haven't understood the timing correctly.

Make a complaint now to Hermes. No point in wasting time.
You may as well point out right now that if they try to fob you off on to Packlink, you will be suing Hermes as an entitled third-party under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999.
Give it about 10 days for them either to decline or to fail to answer.
Then send them a letter of claim giving them 14 days or you will sue – post a draft here.
During the 14 days register with the County Court money claim website and prepare your claim. Post a draft here.
On day 15 – the expiry of your letter of claim deadline, click off the claim.
Wait 14 days after service (five days) or 28 days if they file an acknowledgement and if by some amazing chance they don't file their usual defence, then apply for judgement.
In practice, they will file their defence at the very last moment and then you will have to go through the rest of the procedure, mediation et cetera.

So start off making the complaint – and then start reading around thoroughly the Hermes stories on this sub- forum so that you understand the arguments that they are going to make and what your position would be in respect of those arguments.