I need help with a Dell laptop warranty.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 866 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a Dell Inspiron laptop in the UK in August 2021.

Last week, the laptop died, stopped charging and eventually went out. The charger works fine but the laptop doesn't.

I'm staying with family in Brisbane and I tried to get a warranty repair through a local Dell store, but I've hit a stonewall.

I must purchase an extended warranty for international repair £98 for 2 years ot £76 for one year.

I'm OK with paying that, but now I have been told that it takes up to 15 business days for the warranty to be "approved" and even then, further time to get the repair done.

I can send the laptop back to the UK on UPS and ask for a local repair, but Dell UK says I am "out of warranty" and they are being evasive about giving me the UK address to send the laptop.

What are my rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I bought it on eBay as a new computer sealed in the box with a service TAG.

I've given Dell notice of the fault to preserve the warrant period.

It looks like I will have to swallow the fee to transfer the warranty and they have agreed to repair it.

If they mess about then I'll get it repaired in the UK in the new year or press for the consumer rights act.

Hi, 

Thanks for the comments and advice.

I didn't buy it directly from Dell. It was an ebay business seller.

To tie me over, I bought a Huawei MateBook 14s.

I'll have to pay the fee to transfer the Dell warranty from the UK and get a local Dell service centre to do the warranty repair.

I knew I was taking a risk buying a laptop from eBay, but it was new, latest version, top spec and going cheap.

It really is caveat emptor!

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

15.6" FHD+ (1920 x 1200) InfinityEdge. NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti 4GB GDDR6 [45W]. 64GB DDR4 3200mhz (2x32GB). Dell's...

I'll keep you updated with the progress wit the warranty repair.

Im awaiting contact to take payment to extend the warranty.

I've not approached the eBay seller, because the contact information that came with the warranty said that the warranty is with Dell.

I think the warranty is valid, but only in the UK. The fee I have to pay is to transfer the warranty from the UK to Australia.

I am not sure I can sue the seller because I did not foresee, or tell them I would be travelling.

If I asked the seller to do the repair, I would have to ship to the UK and back, hence getting Huawei Matebook direct from Huawai store to tie me over.

I expect to go to the UK early in the New year, possibly March April and there is a Dell store neaby in Reading.

I transferred the warranty from the UK at the request of Dell and awaiting for them to come back to me and take payment for the transfer fee.

To hold my end of the consumer rights laws, paying the warranty transfer fee is cheaper than Fedex to and from the UK. Aussie customs are funny about laptops being imported, and could charge duty on its declared shipping value.

I have a UK address but my house is rented out. I can ask the tenants to scan mail for me.

Once I pay for the warranty transfer fee, do I still have a claim against the eBay seller to reclaim the fee?

I have emailed the seller as advised, lets see how they respond.

I have asked for them to arrange a warranty repair, or reimburse me the cost of extending the warranty.

I'll update when I have a reply.

Hi

sorry for the issue

the system came with Dells basic collect and return warranty, this is no their international cover, for this, the system needs Dells premium warranty

this is why they will be asking you to upgrade the warranty in AU

Regards
eComputers

No.1 for Dell on eBay
http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/ecomputersltd

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

I'm back asking for more help.

The retailer advised me that to get the laptop warranty repaired in Australia, I must transfer it to Australia then purchase an extended warranty to get the repair.

I have been offered a quotation to extend the warranty for £112 UK, but the quotation document smallprint says: "Device must be purchased from Australia authorised retailers for warranty extension to be valid."

I had previously told them I bought the laptop in the UK.

I asked them to waive the restriction that limits the repair to devices bought in Australia, but they have stopped replying to my emails.

I then emailed the seller in the UK and asked for further advice on how to get the laptop repaired, but they too have stopped answering their emails.

I've been without a laptop for a month, and I have now decided to buy another laptop.

I want to return the faulty one back to the UK retailer via FedEx and ask for a refund.

Am I in my rights to do that?

That's good advice!  Photographing the laptop before repacking it.

I will use a laptop box and the same type of packing used by the seller.

I think it's best I Fedex it back to the seller because I can track it online.

I gave the seller an opportunity to repair, but they wanted to charge £112 for an extended warranty, but that warranty was only valid for repair for devices sold by authorised dealers in Australia. 

In my opinion, the seller passed up offering a repair, which, if I understand things right, enables me to return and ask for a refund.

If the seller demands that he repairs it?  Who is responsible for the cost of return shipping back to Australia?

My house in the UK is not available the tenant is a diplomat in his family.