Currys TV faulty

mars3424234
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 440 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

At three years old you will need an independent report which describes the fault and suggest a solution with the cost.

If you have to bring a claim against Currys – and you probably will – in the end you will only be entitled to claim for the unexpired expected lifespan of the television. So, for instance, if the expected lifespan of the television is 10 years then your three years of use amounts to 30% of it and that means that you would be entitled to claim 70% of the new cost.

The way to create a liability for Currys in respect of the fault, is to write to Currys and complain about the television and tell them that it has not remained in a satisfactory condition for reasonable period of time and therefore you want them to accept responsibility for it and to repair it.

They of course will refuse to do anything about it. You should then give them notice that as they are attempting to avoid the responsibilities under the consumer rights act, you are preceding to get the television independently assessed and you are putting them on notice that there may be a fee for this assessment and if there is then you will be claiming that back from them – as well as the cost of repairs.

It's important to establish a paper trail – and as long as you keep them notified of everything you are doing it will then be very difficult for them to challenge you when is confirms that there is a defect, that you were reasonable in getting an independent report and you are reasonable in incurring the fee – as they had been fully informed as to all of this.

Let us know what happens

Yes you should certainly take pictures of the condition of the television and also of the screen problem.

Then I suggest that the way forward is

Dear XXX

I have received your proposal and I am going along with it only because I don't think I have any other choice but don't imagine that I agree.

The television has not remained in a satisfactory condition for a reasonable period of time and I am letting you have it for inspection by your engineers along with the £95 so that in the event that you say you want to charge me for a repair, that I know precisely how much I'm going to sue you for in the County Court.

Please let me know what the arrangements are for collection of the TV by you so that it can be inspected by your engineers.

Yours sincerely

I think if you have done everything you can to contact Currys and they are simply responding with standard messages and not paying any attention, then if you find your own independent assessor and you let Currys know that this is what you are going to do and this is what is going to cost – and that if the independent assessor finds that there is a fault which suggests that the set has not remained in satisfactory condition for a reasonable period of time then not only will you sue Currys but also you will sue for the reimbursement of your assessment fee.

Point out that you have done everything you can to engage them in this dialogue and they have either declined or they have refused. Therefore you have no choice but to take your own action but you will keep them in the loop all the time.

Once you get your independent assessment, the next step will be to send a letter of claim to Currys including a copy of the assessment and the quote for repairs and then sue them within 14 days if they don't respond positively.

If you are happy with that – then go ahead. Incidentally don't imagine that they will suddenly cave in because they receive these letters from you. You will absolutely have to issue a legal action against these people

• 1 year later...

Life expectancy is based on the reasonable expectations of a reasonable consumer .

It is as nebulous as that .

What does all of this mean in terms of value? How much value are you claiming and how much value are they offering?

• Thanks 1

What was the new cost of the TV and what year did you buy it in

I have just read back through the thread and I see you paid £600 .

Also, I see that this started in 2021.

You have been very tenacious. Well done.

Currys customer service often extremely bad and they can be pigs.

My own feeling is that the 450 pounds that you are looking for is probably On the high side .

The £300 they are offering is probably on the low side.

The problem here for you is that you don't appear to be paying a normal usage for the set .

Two or three times a week is probably a lot less than average, but of course the problem is proving it .

If you go to court then you will have to show report that what you are saying is probably true. You will also have to show the court that 15 years is a reasonable life expectancy.

I think that you could have your work cut out to do this and of course if you lose, then you will get your 300 quid but you will lose the court costs etc and it will probably take another year .

Currys are notoriously difficult to deal with and my own advice to you would be to take the 300 pounds.

Not an entirely satisfactory result, but probably the most sensible pragmatic approach in view of the I'm certain variables involved in the case

• Thanks 1