abbeys defence filed - what now?

lgreenwell
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6396 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HI

I just received Abbeys defence to my claim, which amounted to estimated charges of about £3200. They have offered GOGW of £1600 - half of claim. However they say it is subject to me having received any refunds or goodwill paymentsin respect of the sums claimed.

The problem I have is that I am willing to accept the £1600 but they have already refunded £140, this was before making a court claim and the schedule of charges was altered to reflect this when it was sent with the MCOL.

Has anyone had any contact with Abbey at this stage to clarify that the amount quoted will actually end up in my bank account?

any advice gratefully received

thanks

Lu

HI I am in the exact same situation and after speaking to Inga Kirkman I am told that I will receive the full amount offered which arrived with the defence papers (I was previously refunded £700 but told this will not be taken from my new offer) so hopefully you should receive the full £1600.

I am yet to see if what I am told is true though, money should arrive sometime this week.

Good luck

Just make 100% sure that your claim was ammended to show the reduced total after your original refund.

Thanks

I just wanted to know also if it was worth contacting them to see if there could be any negotiation with the offer - I don't know if any one has done this????

thanks again - sorry who is Inga Kirkman?

Lu

I just wanted to know also if it was worth contacting them to see if there could be any negotiation with the offer

Just suppose that Abbey are reading this (and we know all the banks monitor the site), they'll be rubbing their hands at the thought of saving £1600. What I don't understand is that you seem more concerned about the £140 than the £1600 you're relinquishing.

Hi Lu, I helped a friend out when this happened to her I advised her to write a letter back to abbey stating that this is acceptable as a "full" amount bearing in mind that she had already informed the court of monies already receied back, but if you hold out you will get all of your money back, just send them a letter back that you would be willing to accept all of your claim back including court fees and of course these figures have already taken into account the GOGW

sneaky buggers aint they

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

HI

I just received Abbeys defence to my claim, which amounted to estimated charges of about £3200. They have offered GOGW of £1600 - half of claim. However they say it is subject to me having received any refunds or goodwill paymentsin respect of the sums claimed.

The problem I have is that I am willing to accept the £1600 but they have already refunded £140, this was before making a court claim and the schedule of charges was altered to reflect this when it was sent with the MCOL.

Has anyone had any contact with Abbey at this stage to clarify that the amount quoted will actually end up in my bank account?

any advice gratefully received

thanks

Lu

How long after they acknowledged your claim did you receive the defence?

Interested as waiting to receive their defence to my claim

VIEWS EXPRESSED ARE MY OWN - IF THEY HELP - PLEASE CLICK MY SCALES

Halifax - S.A.R - June 06

- Pre-Lim(£1665) July 06

- LBA - July 06

- MCOL - 15th Aug 06

- Acknowledged 18th Aug

- Settled IN FULL :eek:

- 2nd Claim Started - 12 Dec 2006

- SETTLED IN FULL:eek:

- 3rd Claim Started (Phone Call) 1st March 2007

Abbey National - S.A.R - 23/08/06

- Default Removal Letter sent 21st Sept

- LBA sent with Estimated Charges 4/10/06

- 2nd LBA 23/10/06

- N1 filed 9/11/06 - Deemed Served 16/11/06

- AQ & Draft Directions filed 19/12/06

- Court Hearing 22/3/07

- SETTLED IN FULL:o INCLUDING £5k COMPENSATION

Capital One - S.A.R. 10/10/06

Alliance & Leicester - Mortgage E/S/C Claim 02/03/07

hmm.. its now apparent to me that there are lots of defence cases now going on. mine included. its good to know its not just me tho. id also like to hear about the time periods from abbeys acknowledgement to when you have actually recieved your defence ( should it be within the 14 days given?).

Also there seems to be a trend with regards to 2nd offers being made at that point when you recieve their defence... how many have recieved these 2nd offers when you got your defence?

cheers

Hi Zig, dont know about a 2nd offer, but I have just received a copy of their defence with a 50% of claim, not including costs offer, guess what I am going to be saying :D

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

Me too Lula, today I got defence with 50% offer but no costs mentioned. Do I have to phone or write to refuse the offer?

I posted on my own thread but there has been no response yet. Do I just wait for the AQ.

Also in answer to Zigvsam, Abbey acknowledged on Day 14, then defended on day 12, cos day 14 for me would have been yesterday, so they filed the defence on Fri. I received papers this morning.

Settled at 50%

Clydesdale £155. Should have been £310 charges, plus interest :( Husbands Account.

SETTLED IN FULL:

MBNA £1230. For Hubby.

Halifax £39.

RBS £342. For Hubby.

Cap One £200.

Abbey:

:D Settled in FULL April 18th 2007. £5179.83 Paid but what a long battle!

:D

COMPENSATION OF £100 ON 14/04/08 FOR CONTINUED HARASSEMENT.

Hi, I don't think so, the main paragraph was:

Your claim is for the refund of xxx in bank charges and interest. As a matter of goodwill and without any admission of liability on Abbey's part, Abbey will offer to pay you half your claim, that is xxx (which it isn't, it is lower). This would be in full and final settlement of your claim. This offer is conditional upon Abbey National Plc veryfying the charges sought in your claim. In addition, any amount of monies refunded to you relating to the charges claimed will be offset against this settlement offer.

We hope that you will regard this as a very reasonable offer in the circumstances and a genuine attempt to reach an amicable settlement of your claim.

If you are prepared to agree to our settlement proposal please sign and return the enclosed copy of this letter. (They sent me 2, wish I could sigh both and they didn't realise and paid me twice! That would be getting very close!).

Settled at 50%

Clydesdale £155. Should have been £310 charges, plus interest :( Husbands Account.

SETTLED IN FULL:

MBNA £1230. For Hubby.

Halifax £39.

RBS £342. For Hubby.

Cap One £200.

Abbey:

I think I will send an amended rejection of settlement offer because I think the template is more to do with goodwill offers before you have got to the court stage.

My letter says 'if I accept then sign & send it back', it makes no reference to if I don't accept, so I am just going to send the AQ back when it arrives. I will also put in my letter that although they say they offered half, they didn't really and this seems to be a ploy to catch people out.

I think, especially at this time of year some folks will feel the need to settle for half and that's what Shabby are hoping for. But my thought is that If I have been without for the last 6 years then a couple more weeks isn't going to hurt.

Settled at 50%

SETTLED IN FULL:

MBNA £1230. For Hubby.

Halifax £39.

RBS £342. For Hubby.

Cap One £200.

Abbey: