Hermes lost my phone and some food items (total value of about £900) and offered me £300 compensation ***Settled through ADR***

Dee21
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 835 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Yes, I have to get back to the court in April. I am not so sure of the date now as I don't have the letter here.

Thanks. I will be on the lookout for notification regarding mediation and accept it.

In addition, I recently returned a (£120) Deep Fryer to Amazon using Hermes as I had to use them. I was sceptical about using Hermes because of my experience with them and also because the Deep Fryer was not packaged in an Amazon box but was left in its original box. I was told by Amazon to just put the label on the box.

Unsurprisingly, after Hermes picked the box and 2 other items I returned the same time from the corner shop, the deep fryer disappeared. The other 2 items have been delivered but the deep fryer is not tracking anymore. Amazon has gone ahead to refund me. I contacted Hermes and got the usual response that after doing a sweep of their warehouse, they have concluded that the box is missing.

Just wondering if I am able to use this to support my case and to further prove that Hermes employees are rogues. 

I should steer clear of saying that all Hermes employees are rogues – but certainly if you can collect lots of different information including newspaper stories et cetera which point the fact that Hermes do have a systematic problem which they're not addressing then that may be helpful.

One of the arguments to make is that the reason that Hermes aren't addressing their systematic internal criminality problem is because they are persuading their own customers to take out insurance.
This means that there is no incentive on Hermes to do any better because they know that any losses will be paid for by their customers

3 hours ago, BankFodder said:

I should steer clear of saying that all Hermes employees are rogues – but certainly if you can collect lots of different information including newspaper stories et cetera which point the fact that Hermes do have a systematic problem which they're not addressing then that may be helpful.

One of the arguments to make is that the reason that Hermes aren't addressing their systematic internal criminality problem is because they are persuading their own customers to take out insurance.
This means that there is no incentive on Hermes to do any better because they know that any losses will be paid for by their customers

Thanks noted!!. 

Update: I have now got a mediation date for next week. I have accepted and will update the thread of the outcome. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have now had my mediation and have provided the summary below:

As a background, I was asking Hermes to pay the outstanding balance of £689.66. The breakdown of the amount is below:

Samsung S21 5G -                          $850, costs £819 in the UK,

Food items                                       £84.78

Court fees                                         £70

Postage fees                                    £18.08

Interest accrued                              £15.88

less the amount paid last year    -£318.08

Total                                                  £689.66

Details of mediation

I was called around 1:43pm where the terms of the mediation were read to me and I provided details of my case to the mediator and explained that I want the full amount of £603.78 + £15 interest and £70 court fees. The mediator agreed to explain my demand to Hermes.

1:57pm – The mediator called back to inform that Hermes will only pay me the £18 cost of delivery and nothing more. Note Hermes had refunded the cost of delivery earlier. I wondered why they mentioned it again.

Also, Hermes said I signed the contract that I am only entitled to £300, which they have paid. So, they are not willing to offer me any additional money. I wondered why they wanted mediation then.

The mediator also mentioned that although I stated that the parcel was worth £900, I did not disclose the content. I disputed this claim as I clearly stated that the parcel contained food items and a phone at the point of postage. I also mentioned that a similar recent experience I had with Hermes shows that there is a systemic issue which it is important for Hermes to resolve and that it will be unfair for me to be out of pocket for about £600 due to the negligence of Hermes employees. I explained that I am happy to go to court if I don’t receive the full amount.

2:09pm – The mediator called back and said, Hermes is willing to pay me the full cost of the phone (i.e. the amount I paid in dollars converted to GBP). They converted the $850 to £629 and offered to pay me a balance of £329. I rejected the offer and insisted that I wanted full compensation with interest and court fee of £70. I gave the option of Hermes buying the phone and then post it to me instead of paying me the cost in $. Also, I reminded them of the cost of the food items, which they had not mentioned at all.

2:19pm – The mediator called back and said that Hermes has agreed to pay me £630 for the phone (balance of £330 as I had collected the £300 that Hermes offered me last year), £84 for the food item and £70 court fees. Total offered was £330+84+70 = £484 instead of £689.66.

As I was not too sure if the court will award the cost to purchase the phone from the UK or just my out of pocket, So I asked for the interest to be included and for Hermes to pay £500. I did not want to wait for another 4 months for the hearing.

2:26pm – The mediator called back and informed me that Hermes has agreed to pay the balance of £500, which I accepted.

Conclusion – I will receive £500 instead of £689, which is the actual amount I lost with £15 interest but I might not be able to get the same phone in the UK for the amount I got it from the US. 

I am happy to answer if anyone has any questions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much indeed for this very detailed summary. It is very interesting and I am sure that it will be very helpful to lots of people in the future.

Very nice piece of humour suggesting that they purchased the phone for you. 😀

The issue of the currency conversion is a bit tricky and I'm not sure what the answers.

You gave up £189. I haven't quite understood what this figure represents.

1 hour ago, BankFodder said:

Thank you very much indeed for this very detailed summary. It is very interesting and I am sure that it will be very helpful to lots of people in the future.

Very nice piece of humour suggesting that they purchased the phone for you. 😀

The issue of the currency conversion is a bit tricky and I'm not sure what the answers.

You gave up £189. I haven't quite understood what this figure represents.

Thanks. A friend helped to purchase the phone from US for $850 (£630) because it was cheaper than what it costs in the UK (£819). Phones are usually cheaper from Samsung US than Samsung UK.

I was hoping I will be refunded the amount it costs to buy the phone from Samsung UK. Hermes however insisted they will only pay the actual amount I purchased the phone. So, the difference is £819 -£630 = £189.

I was paid the amount I lost but as I am unable to buy the phone from the US currently, it will cost me more to get the same phone from the UK. So, not totally satisfactory to me. 

I hope you understand where the difference is coming from.

Edited by Dee21

Can you remind me what the declared value was for the courier

6 minutes ago, BankFodder said:

Can you remind me what the declared value was for the courier

£900, which is £819 and food items of over £80. However, the invoice of the phone was in dollars since I purchased it from Samsung US and when converted to £, it is about £630 not £819

Edited by Dee21

Yes, but for the telephone

Did you declare a value for the telephone separately? If so, what was it?

2 minutes ago, BankFodder said:

Did you declare a value for the telephone separately? If so, what was it?

No I did not declare it separately. I only put the value of all the items in the parcel as £900

Thanks .

I expect that you could have squeeze the rest off of them and it certainly quite a lot of money to have given up but well done anyway and at least you can move on .

And you can see how Hermes tries to exploit the taxpayer funded county court system to rip people off and to dissuade others

Also, we are trying to raise a bit of money to pay for a very useful transcript of a recent judgement relating to the courier industry and which may well make a big difference to people's claims .

If you think that we've helped you, then maybe you could press one of the donation links somewhere on this forum 🙂

1 hour ago, BankFodder said:

Thanks .

I expect that you could have squeeze the rest off of them and it certainly quite a lot of money to have given up but well done anyway and at least you can move on .

And you can see how Hermes tries to exploit the taxpayer funded county court system to rip people off and to dissuade others

It's a lot of money indeed and yes I believe if I had persevered I would have got the full amount but I was already fed up with the process. Did not want to wait till May for the hearing. So decided to just accept the exact money I paid for the phone and £16 interest though would have been better to get enough money to purchase the phone directly from the UK.

Edited by Dee21

57 minutes ago, BankFodder said:

Also, we are trying to raise a bit of money to pay for a very useful transcript of a recent judgement relating to the courier industry and which may well make a big difference to people's claims .

If you think that we've helped you, then maybe you could press one of the donation links somewhere on this forum 🙂

You have really been helpful and I have learnt a lot from the whole process.  I have therefore donated a token to support the cause. Thanks so much

• Like 1

• AndyOrch changed the title to Hermes lost my phone and some food items (total value of about £900) and offered me £300 compensation ***Settled through ADR***

:yo:  Well done and many thanks for your donation...topic title amended.

Andy

• Like 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

I fully understand your wish to get the thing over with.

I don't blame you one bit, although of course this is what Hermes relies upon