• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Assistance required pict v's BOS

pict
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6311 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Firstly I would like to thank everyone that has helped me get this far.

I have started a new thread as it took a lot of dumb questions from me to get to this stage

The story so far………..

S.A.R sent 05/09/06 – Reply received 20/10/06

Charges are as follows:

2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 Total

£1620 £380 £740 £131 £2064 £639 £1430 £7004

Request for repayment of charges posted 01/11/06 requested full repayment of £7004 in charges – reply received 06/11/06

Standard letter received stating

I am sorry to learn that you are unhappy with charges applied to your account. We’re keen to deal with your concerns as quick as possible. A customer relations manager will investigate the points you have raised and you will receive a reply shortly, but no later than 4 weeks”

I then against my better judgement waited.

Received a letter 29/11/06 saying that they were sorry that I had not had a full response to my concerns. We are still investigating your complaint, and you will receive a response from us as soon as possible, but certainly no latter than 3rd January 2006.

Sent letter before action requesting full repayment of £7004 04/12/06

The day after posting the letter I received a conclusion to the investigation dated 01/12/06. The letter when through the standard bank charges are fair bumf before this paragragh that stated “ as a gesture of good will I would like to offer you £1620 in full and final settlement of your complaint. I must stress that future charges will stand and we reserve the right to close your account if you do not manage it correctly. To accept this offer please sign and return the enclosed acceptance form in the pre-paid envelope. You requested information on how we calculate our cost for dealing for dealing with these transactions. Please note that we are not obliged under the data protection act to supply this information, and as it is commercially sensitive, I regret to inform you that I am unable to comply with your request.”

The acceptance form states: I confirm that I accept the offer of £1620 from Bank of Scotland in full and final settlement of my complaint regarding bank charges made on my bank of Scotland accounts.

The word accounts used at the end worried me as I am also working on charges on a BOS credit card and BOS preference account. This acceptance seems to suggest that if I was of a mind to accept (which I am not)I would then not be able to claim from any other BOS accounts

I have no intention of accepting this offer anyway as it falls way short of the total charges.

I would like some advise on how to proceed as I have already sent the letter before action prior to receiving this offer.

Advice given is purely my opinion, and is not based on any legal training.

BOS Credit Card...........................Hearing Date 07/02/07

Full Settlement..............................13/02/07

BOS Bank Account .........................total charges £8,655.92

1st offer..............................................£1620.00 01/12/06 Rejected

2nd offer.............................................£3255.00 03/01/07 Rejected

Summary Action victory.................£1499.02 22/03/07

Full and Final offer............................£7,200 19/04/07

Pict...............

I posted rejection of offer letter 6/12/06. Hope I'm doing the right thing!

1st offer..............................................£1620.00 01/12/06 Rejected

2nd offer.............................................£3255.00 03/01/07 Rejected

Pict...............

I had similar response from them offering me £3000 in full etc. attached is email from BOS employee attempting to help me get my statements for other accounts.

"Dear XXXX, sorry about this, I have asked yyyyy one of my

colleagues to ensure that this information is obtained along with the

data that bbbb is compiling. Although not actually at the sharp end

myself, I am finding the issues relating to your account a little

perplexing. So I guess I have a good idea how you feel. Please bear

with me a little longer as I do not take defeat well and am determined

to resolve this. Hopefully this will identify what the problems were

and ensure that we can ensure that they do not happen again."

This expressed sentiment was as the bank was run all those years ago, before capitalism and maggie got her way to drive the folks out of their jobs and the guys in grey suits to purses of the people in the country. Every time one of these fat cats gets a pay rise he doesnt care whether he desreves it, but sees the consumers as the fodder to pay for it.

Cheers bandonbhoy interesting reply.

Before I found this site I felt sure that if I reported the BOS branch to their HO I would get some kind of investigation and settlement as it seemed clear to me that they had mis-managed the account through credit levels and charges.

I don't think that as much now but their must be people within the banks that feel that some of the accounts and branches are being mis-managed and they have been using peoples financial problems to inflate their profits.

Pict...............

Ready for court action to start on the 19th still no response from BOS. I will keep you informed.

Pict...............

• 2 months later...

The story goes on..............

Started Summary Action for first £1500 of claim on 14/01/07

Charges date are 22/12/99 to 01/09/2000

Return date set as 28 Feb- the bank has failed to respond

Handed in form 11 today(Form of minute - no form of response lodged by defender)

Will phone office again on Monday to check for response

Hearing Date 07/03/07

I am really surprised that the bank has failed to defend a case that in their eyes fall outside the limitations act(5 Years Scotland).

Has anyone else had this happen?

Cheers...

Pict...............

Update.......

Phone the sheriff's clerk today(Tuesday) and the HBOS has still not submitted a defense.

I'm off to court tomorrow to see what happens.

I'll post an update tomorrow.......

Pict...............

Just returned from court.

We have been granted a decree and will receive the extract on the 22nd March.:-)

Thanks to everyone who has helped me get through this. Lets hope nothing else happens and they pay up.

Pict...............

Well done pict. Have been watching your thread with interest. Have just sent first letter for refund, as per my thread.

One question, did they offer any kind of defence or turn up at court?? I am in the position where I am going to need to raise an ordinary action. My claim is over 7K and don't want to risk splitting it, so am keen to see how they handle court.

Here's hoping the money in your hand before you know it.

Jacky

Jacky, They never offered any defense nor did they turn up in court. If you are going down the Ordinary Action Route I think you can almost guarantee

that they will ether defend or settle.(Hopefully the latter)

Good luck with your claim........

Pict...............

Hi Pict,

Well done you :)

It's all been worthwhile now ....

Still haven't heard anything from the Halifax, return date 22nd March, so countdown has begun ;) Hope you have your money soon

X

Tippety toeing where angels fear to tread .... :o

Hey and I thought of that all by my lonesome :cool:

1st Data Protection Act letter Halifax - 30th Sept 2006

Non compliance letter sent 23rd November 2006 :mad:

Preliminary request for repayment sent 11th Dec 06

Reply from the Halifax stating that they're investigating my concerns!!!.... Rec 15th Dec 06

LBA sent 30th December 2006 :mad:

Offer from Halifax of £814.00 - 5th January 2007

Rejection of Settlement Offer - 6th January 2007 ;)

Papers filed at Court - 29th January 2007

:) Settled in Full, 16th March, 2007

Themacs,

The best way would be an Ordinary Action if you are in Scotland as Small Claims limit is £750 and Summary Action is £1500.

If you have access to an English address you also may be able to pursue it through the English courts their limit is £5,000.

Try to read as many threads as possible before you make your mind up which route suits you best.

read this thread first:

Urgent Attention Please Read - Claims in Scotland - Consumer Action Group

Good luck.

Pict...............

Hey Pict

Hope things are going good for you.

Just to put in some info. HBOs didn't show for my court date, I won by default and got an extract for payment 18/01/07. Still nothing. I contacted sheriffs officers, who 2 weeks ago, made a charge for payment of money, they had until today to pay up or

"If you do not pay this sum within 14 days you are liable to have further action taken against you including the arrestment of your earnings and the Attachemnent and Auction of Articles belonging to you. You are also liable to be sequestered (declared bankrupt)."

Woo-hoo. So tomorrow I call the Sheriffs officers to see what happens next. And if they go in to arrest earnings/attach and auction articles, I'll be there with my camera.

BoS:- D P A sent 09/06 Prelim. request 29/06 £1755 plus interest

1st claim Filed 5/10/06 SETTLED 19/10 £747.80 plus £534.31 interest