Second hand car issues...help!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1264 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I purchased a second hand car from a trader last December.

Within 3 weeks, the car started playing up..engine cutting out on me whilst driving, no acceleration etc.

The garage have had it back 3 times over the past year to fix it, and each time I've had it back, it's eventually failed again, always with the same symptoms.

It's failed again today.

The garage, understandably, are now reluctant to do anything more.

And I, understandably, no longer want this car.

I've broken down more times this year than ever in my life.

I've lost all confidence in it, i don't feel safe driving it and it's been problematic since i bought it (through finance after paying a deposit).

Do i have any legal rights anymore, after 12 months?

I've given then multiple opportunities to fix the issue that the car clearly had when I bought it.

But i have no idea what to do now.

As it stands, it's going back to them again on Saturday to have another look.

However they are now suggesting its a new fault and not likely to be the same issue.

So far they have been great and its not cost me a penny.

But i feel i am now stuck with a car that clearly has a major issue.

Any advice welcome.

was this fault that later re-appeared reported to them within 30 days of purchase?

you need to remember this is not your car

it belongs to the finance company...have you involved them at all since day 1 and who are they?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi

Yes, the fault was reported to them within 30 days. I'd had the car only 3 weeks when it started failing. Contacted them immediately and it went back to them to investigate. 

No I've not contacted finance company...is that worth doing? They're called Close Brothers Finance.

Please can you give us a lot more information about the car.

Make model, mileage, price paid, also a pointed chronology of the faults, when and what.

You say that you have it on finance. Is this a loan or hire purchase?

Also for some strange reason you haven't given us the name of the dealer. Which dealer is it? I'm glad to hear that they have been good so far – but clearly not good enough to sort the problem out once and for all.

Have you ever had an independent investigation of this recurring fault? Have you ever had an independent quotation for the repair of the fault?

Sorry, but as much as we want to help you, this post is a solid block of text and very difficult to follow on a screen.

Please will you repost this properly spaced, punctuated et cetera and that will encourage people to understand your position and to give you the best advice they can.

I see that your first post was also a very solid block of text and had to be restructured by one of our site team.

I'm afraid that we just don't have time to do that and we would ask you to present your story in an intelligible way and in a way that you would like to see it if it were presented to you and you were providing free help to someone else in need

Thank you

Apologies for the lack of paragraphs, but there was plenty of punctuation and it was perfectly intelligable.

When I help someone in need, I don't tend to put them down in a passive aggressive way or try to belittle them.  I accept that people are different and have different styles of writing, reading, and comprehension.

I also understand how the written word can be taken in all manner of ways, and not always in the way the author intended. But there you go. That's just me.

Thanks anyway; I don't think this is probably the forum for me, but I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

All the best.

I'm sorry that you think it was a putdown. And I'm sorry that you are so upset.

If you feel that you still need some help at some point then please do come back.

Well I don't want to get into pointscoring – but if you agree that you have taken certain writing the way that you choose – then I'd suggest that you are putting an unfortunate spin on things.

We can help you and we can get a solution for you but you will have to help us by presenting material in an intelligible way.

We do this completely free. If you went to a professional you would be paying about £250 per hour and I'm pretty certain that in order to save time and money you would present everything as carefully as possible.

One of the site team has already rearranged your opening post – and we made no comment on it. But now as you made a second post in a solid block we are simply asking you to present your story in an intelligible way.

Once again, we do this completely free of charge. Most people don't make any donations or even give us a thanks but we help people get positive outcomes in tens of thousands of cases.  However you are engaging on a forum here where the only way we can deal with each other is on a screen.

I'm afraid it all comes with the territory.

It's up to you if you want to continue.

I haven’t been in here for such a long time, but I was able to guess who would respond and how!

no wonder this site has such a terrible reputation now, which is a shame because that then detracts from the great work the Ellen et al carry out.

DX & BF I’m disappointed, but in no way surprised that you carry on with your approach. 

I will check back in another year or so, and when I do I bet the only things that have changed are the amount of people coming to you for help.

you guys rock, you really do.

6 hours ago, Lizwil243 said:

Hi

Yes, the fault was reported to them within 30 days. I'd had the car only 3 weeks when it started failing. Contacted them immediately and it went back to them to investigate. 

No I've not contacted finance company...is that worth doing? They're called Close Brothers Finance.

under CRA and your short term right to reject, they only had one chance to repair the car , this has obviously not been satisfactorily resolved. but you probably didn't express your right to reject anyway at the time.

It belongs to close brothers and you now need to escalate and involve them with your on going issues with the car.

which should have been done from day one.

what your perfect route is varies depending upon what you, the dealer and close want to do, you could possibly reject the car to the dealer, you could possibly raise a section 75 claim to close brothers as under the consumer credit act they are equally responsible.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...