Made redundant next steps

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1418 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys, I'm looking for some advice as i really dont know what my next steps are as ive been in work since i was 18 and now at 45 find myself facing redundancy.

I have recently split from my wife and moved to my parents home,my debts are a loan and credit card 8.5k loan 4.5k Credit card, ive been constantly on the job sites but aren't hopeful in the current climate, my redundancy pay will be low as ive only been there just over 2 years.

Whats my options guys

Step 1 stay in control, by updating your address with every organisation you have arrangements with. So write out a big list of everyone you need to update your address with. People in moments of crisis forget to do this and end up in a mess later, as post is still going to their old address. E.g Court claims are still sent by post, so you want to be able to respond to correspondence, to avoid it getting that far.

Step 2, look into claiming benefits. Use an online benefits calculator such as Entitledto or Turn2us websites..  If you have paid enough National Insurance, you can claim New Style JSA for 6 months, which pays you an amount every 2 weeks and keeps your National Insurance stamps up to date. Every penny counts, as you can use some of the money to pay debts, avoiding eating into your redundancy as much.

Step 3 Write a full budget list of all of your monthly spending. See what you can cut back on.

Step 4 Work out from your budget list, which are spending priorities. Loan and credit cards are not a high priority, but in short term pay at least the minimum required, so you don't end up with charges/higher interest. This presumes debts still with Banks. If you have debts with Debt Collection Agencies, please provide more information.

Step 5 Job search. Sign to Twitter and subscribe to all local Twitter feeds. Most jobs are advertised on their first. Local Job Centre will often have good imformation. Use local Job agencies, particularly those who recruit temps as they have real jobs. Big agencies have many fake ads.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

For redundancy the employer has to go through several rounds of consultation and show that the role is redundancy for one of the legal definitions of the same.

so how many peopel work where you are/in the company?

how many peopel do the same job role s you?

how many people are affected by the proposed redundancy? Are they getting rid of everyone doing a particular set of tasks or just downsizing?

What criteria have they applied to determine who is in line to be let go- there are several ways they can do this, some fairer than others.

Is there a voluntary offer to certain people if they put their name forward ( you might need to ask around as often an employer will keep this one quiet for several reasons)

how far has the process got? first meeting or futher than that?

lastly, something that employers arent supposed to use as a reason but do,  what is your sickness/disciplinary record like?

Get your CV up to date and look at your skills rather than job titles of previous employment. Include things that might be useful to an employer that are hobbies such as photographic skills if applicable. Experience at driving certain types of vehicle would be another thing worth mentioning if applicable.

Your employer should give you reasonable time off to attend interviews so dont delay in putting yourself out there

Edited by ericsbrother