British Gas Warrant to fit prepayment meter

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1774 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

You have no income, so can’t really expect a repayment plan if your income / expenditure shows you would be in increasing debt.

So, it seems a pre-payment meter with a low rate of repayment of debt would be prudent while waiting on a decision from the energy trust unless you can get an urgent decision from the trust.

Invite them in to fit the pre-payment meter at an agreed time having agreed a repayment rate : that gives you more control than either:

a) then fitting a meter under a warrant, or

b) you saying “they can’t break in” / “it is illegal”, when they can and it IS lawful with a warrant

NB ; I’m not saying you don’t suffer from mental health problems.

Nor am I saying this is a problem of your choosing. But, even with mental health problems and it not being of your choice : you expecting them to continue to supply electricity in the same circumstances with an increasing debt isn’t a realistic option.

• Like 2

Thank you for the replies... I feel very confused and overwhelmed to reply to each at the moment and am trying my best to put this as clearly as I can.

One of the letters I received gave a list of all magistrates courts and said if I don't select one and respond within certain amount of time (21 days I think) then they were going to choose their own court to obtain a warrant.

I contacted them by phone well within this time and was passed around to various members of staff, kept on the phone for a very long time and told various conflicting information.

Amongst other things, I was told that they had already had a court hearing for the warrant (I think they said 8th Aug, with an intent to execute on 13th Aug), but they refused to tell me which court - Making it impossible for me to try and defend. 

They also denied that they have my incorrect address details on national grid database (confirmed by 3 other electricity providers) and refused to update those details, meaning I am stuck with them accruing extra charges. Various threats were made over the phone and just verbal abuse really, again refusing to offer me an affordable payment plan and failing to resolve the situation. 

I called them again the following day to try and set up a payment plan with them again and to ask what was being done about my complaint. The first person I spoke to said he agreed that they were wrong and offered me a complimentary smart meter fitted free of charge. I told him I didn't want a smart meter. I got passed around again then and spoken to extremely rudely so terminated the call. The bill they say I owe is an estimated bill. 

I received a letter from them yesterday stating that they enclose details of their complaints process as I requested (which I did not request). The letter mentions nothing whatsoever about my complaint.

The meter read will ensure their bill is for the correct amount.

However, it won’t address the underlying issue that OP is using electricity and has a negative balance on their income /expenditure.

Negotiate a pre-payment meter (so agreed, rather than through their enforcement process, if it hasn’t already gone too far), and hope friends / family will help with top-ups until you are back at work / get help from the energy trust.

Raven - I don't think an accurate reading is relevant or necessary until such time as a final bill with BG is generated, but they are making it impossible for me to change supplier. 

Bazza - I am NOT going to agree to a prepayment meter. It would be more expensive for me and would likely result in my electricity being cut off anyway. These people have been terrorising me, aggressively smashing on my front door. This is the last thing I need to be dealing with and is making my situation worse. 

Should I phone them again to try and find out which court this fraudulent warrant is being obtained? And write them a letter too?

Any help with what to write would be appreciated

Does anyone have any experience of defending one of these warrants in court?

BG have registered my details on national database as a caravan on a random road name. I live in a house.

Are you sure you have received visits from debt collectors in relation to this account because as it stands it is an outstanding balance not a 'debt' and there would be no reason for it to be passed to debt collectors whilst it is still a live account.

To reiterate myself and others you will not be allowed to change suppliers while there is an outstanding balance on your account so this is not an option you have. Another supplier would view you as a bad risk and refuse to take you on even if your current supplier was prepared to let you go.  Energy companies are obliged to share this sort of information with each other.

I can only suggest you give them an up to date meter read so the balance is accurate and then agree to a pre payment meter being fitted. This is you best plan of action and will happen anyway if you do nothing, however without your agreement there will be additional charges which will run into hundreds and which will be added to the outstanding balance.

In other words Cads you cant beat them so dont waste your time and energy (sorry for the pun)..you will simply be increasing the debt.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Raven and Andy - Please stop telling me to agree to a meter being fitted. 

Yes, Arvato. 

Other suppliers have been happy for me switch to them - BG have my meter serial numbers incorrect and wrong address (caravan apparently) listed on national database. BG gave me an MPAN number needed to switch, but as this number is linked to incorrect address another supplier cannot switch me over until British Gas update my details correctly on national system.

Regarding the  actual warrant, sad to say these are not addressed individually, unless challenged, they are waved through in blocks of tens or even hundreds by the courts.

If you turned up to the court and challenged it. it *might* be delayed but essentially it would be raised again straight away and this time with all the information to hand to push it through.

I'm not sure if this would add further costs.

I am extremely worried about the safety of my pets if a warrant was executed. A prepayment meter whether by agreement or not will only make my financial situation and health worse. 

Still think the best option for me is to put my complaint in writing to BG, seeing as they are incapable of dealing with over the phone. Should I include their tick box option of which magistrates court I would like with my letter?

Should I phone & write to Arvato too?

I forgot to mention, one of the people I was passed to on the phone said she would put a freeze on my account for 4 weeks I think (I could have that wrong as came away from the phone call feeling so confused, distressed and unwell), but they have confirmed nothing in writing. I was told on the phone they already have date set to apply for warrant which contradicts what their letters say. 

If you have a dog, they might well need to employ a dog handler.  If you have tropical fish it would not be an immediate problem because they put a small credit on the meter when they fit it. 

2 minutes ago, Raven1 said:

If you have a dog, they might well need to employ a dog handler.  If you have tropical fish it would not be an immediate problem because they put a small credit on the meter when they fit it. 

Do you really think you are helping ? Are you just trying to cause me more distress ?

OP is (again) snapping back at any reply that doesn’t fit with their preformed idea of how the utility company (or mortgage company) should treat them.

OP You say you won’t agree to a pre-payment meter (and agreeing might limit the extra costs and allow you to feel more control over the process). If you aren’t giving them a realistic payment plan (which you can’t if your expenditure isn’t matched by an income) : how do you expect to prevent them getting a warrant?.

Bottom line: despite you suffering from mental illness and the situation not being of your making, you can’t expect to live rent / mortgage payment free, nor with an ever increasing electricity debt.

You are better engaging with the electricity company over the meter than saying “I WON’T have one” unless you have a robust plan to prevent them obtaining the warrant.

People aren’t posting to distress you, but to try to guide you away from unrealistic expectations.

• Like 2

It is neither bullying nor abuse.

If you really think it is, report the post & let the site team decide.

you can (also) set it so you ignore my posts. Your choice.

Additionally, you’ve had helpful, appropriate advice. You are just choosing to ignore that it is helpful and appropriate (without you suggesting any more realistic approach!) since it doesn’t fit with your unrealistic expectations....

• Like 1

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1774 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks