Insurance quote increased £1760 overnight

paper_91
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1833 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone, 

I'm a bit confused and would appreciate any advice to try and help me understand what's happened with my quotes. 

I'm currently 19 years old (male) and was disqualified last year for dangerous driving, very silly mistake and I've learned from my past actions. 

My ban is due up in the next 6 weeks and I am currently looking at new cars (sold my old one after I got banned) and their different insurance policies. 

I was getting quoted around 2k for a 1 litre corsa which I was happy with however whilst checking quotes I was checking multiple cars and changing the named drivers etc. 

I must have carried out dozens upon dozens of searches, mainly because I would find the same car, same year same mileage etc on 2 different sites and the only difference was the number plates and that would sometimes mean a change of around £300-400.

I chose a car which I was happy with and every week leading up to my  ban have just been checking the insurance quote through gocompare, just so I know the rough cost as for the past few months/weeks the cost can sometimes vary by a few hundred, going up and down, which I totally understand. 

I got a quote last Sunday for £2100 and refreshed my quotes today on gocompare and my cheapest quote was £3860!! :( 

No details have changed at all and whilst I was getting 20+ companies offering to insure me suddenly that's dropped to 4 with a lot of the companies who were previously offering some of the best quotes are today saying they are refusing to insure me.

I'm at a complete loss as to why this is.

Could it be because I have carried out so many searches?

In all my searches I've only ever changed the car, policy start date etc, I haven't been changing my name or address or my conviction or anything else.

How do I go about fixing this? (if possible)

If this is their final say I understand but there must be a reason for such a drastic change.

I won't be able to afford almost 4k on top of the car costs and am really stressed and worried.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated. 

I will pretty much assume yes its because of all the searches.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Just now, dx100uk said:

I will pretty much assume yes its because of all the searches.

Thanks for your reply, I'm assuming it has been hard recorded somewhere as a concern or something on a database which is perhaps why all the insurers have been affected. Is there anywhere I can remove this? 

I was just about to say p'haps check your credit file yes

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

19 minutes ago, dx100uk said:

I was just about to say p'haps check your credit file yes

I've checked my credit file with equifax and only have a handful of searches carried out this year, only 2 being car insurance checks. I phoned one of the insurers with the best quote previously and they told me it seemed bizarre and they couldn't understand why it would have increased so much and were at a loss to understand it. :( I asked them how I could go about finding out the cause or amending it and they said they didn't know. I don't really know how I can proceed. 

Insurers that are connected to comparison sites do receive the data and they do have software which detects possible manipulation of the quotes, in order to receive a cheaper premium. You may have entered your personal information correctly each time, but doing multiple quotes with different cars, different drivers, etc, would have been flagged up.

If you saved a quote for a particular car, it should be valid for 30 days or whatever the comparison site advises. So if you wanted to proceed on the basis of a saved quote, then you should be able to do so. If the premium changes, when you have not altered the details, then you need to take it up with the comparison site in the first instance.

The other issue is when you want to pay by instalments. As soon as you change payment method to monthly Direct Debit, it makes a massive difference.  The amount payable then includes quite a high interest rate.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

as above but the insurers also do another thing, they up the premium quoted the nearer the date is to the required insurance date so for example, ask for a quote a month in advance and you get a much lower premium tha if your insurance runs out tonight!

If you had purged all of the cookies on your computer between each session that would have made a difference as well, the same applies to purchasing airline tickets, the keener you appear to be the higher the price and their cookies tell them when, how often etc you do the searches even if the information entered each time is different