Letting Agent Looking to Serve Notice - I have PTSD

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1816 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A couple of questions that will help me point you in the right direction:

Was your PTSD diagnosed by a psychiatrist or clinical psychologist (not a GP or self-diagnosed)?

Are you having treatment now?

Are you claiming Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit etc.? 

Are you in receipt of a War Pension or AFCS payment?

Which Service were you in?

Which part of the country are you in (i.e. England, Scotland. Wales or NI)?

1 hour ago, Cruet1 said:

As harsh as it may sound, just because a person has a mental illness doesn't give them a 'get outta jail free' card to avoid paying rent. Housing Benefit is there for just this eventuality. 

True; PTSD is not an excuse for behaviours, but it can be a causal factor in why people suffering from it struggle with everyday life.  Housing benefit is one source of help, but there are many others.

1 hour ago, Cruet1 said:

Entitledto.co.uk is a good benefit calculator to make sure you are getting everything available whilst you look for work.

It's pretty good, but doesn't factor in AFCS payments, or AFIP.  

There are better sources of advice for veterans,  but without a bit more detail it's difficult to signpost appropriately.

@nick7602 - thanks for coming back to me with those answers.  There's one other question I should have asked, which is whether your PTSD is service-related - I'll assume it is unless you say otherwise. If so, you may be entitled to a War Pension and/or an Armed Forces Scheme Compensation payment - but bear in mind that I don't have all the info, so don't take that as a guarantee!

I think your first port of call should be the Veterans Welfare Service.  They are expert at providing advice in your type of situation, on benefits (including War Pensions and AFCS) , and making appropriate referrals.  Just ring whichever office is closest to you.

Short term, get in touch with the ABF; they can help with financial grants through Regimental Associations. 

You should also contact your local council, because you may also be entitled to Council Tax Benefit  and Housing Benefit.  Make sure you tell them you are a Veteran, because every council in the country has signed the Armed Forces Covenant, and that will help you if eventually you need rehousing. If necessary, ask to speak to their Armed Forces Champion. 

Also, have a look at Veterans Gateway; it's a one-stop shop that has lots of information, including on employment. 

It's good to hear that you're getting help from Combat Stress, so you know to get in touch with them if you find it all getting on top of you.

Of course, come back here if you need more help.  Let us know how you get on.

nick7602 - under the Armed Forces Covenant, as a veteran in housing need who has a serious medical condition or disability that has been sustained as a result of your service in the Armed Forces, you should be placed in Band A (top priority) by your local authority if you apply to them for housing.

But do get in touch with the VWS as soon as you can - they have lots of experience in these matters. 

Shelter has veteran-specific advice - details are on the Veterans Gateway.  There are also a number of organisations that provide housing for veterans - Alabare, Haig Housing, The Stoll Foundation and others; again, details on the Veterans Gateway.  The RBL has a scheme to help with deposits if you decide on renting privately again.

• Thanks 1

• dx100uk changed the title to Letting Agent Looking to Serve Notice - I have PTSD