Smart Meters A discussion

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 769 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

EON have been doing the same as Npower have been reported to do:

Sent a 'We are coming on xxxxxx to fit your smart meter

We notified EON that they are not fitting a smart meter and we will NEVER agree to having one fitted- end of,

op I spoke with said 'well you'll have to have one before long as the government is making it compulsory'

I just said no we wont, dont bother us or try this again or try to fit a smart meter of any kind - Is that clear enough?

He said its noted on the account.

Hello tobyjugg2 and I'm sorry our advisor told you it was compulsory to have smart meters. It isn't. They're optional and you can refuse our offers to fit them at any time.

I know you're adamant about this and your account will have been noted accordingly. We still need to let you know what's happening though. This project is advancing and changing all the time and we've an obligation to continue to let our customers know about these developments in case they want to change their mind. This is particularly the case now as we're rolling out SMETS2 meters and, next year, begin remote updates to many of the SMETS1 meters we've previously installed. Part of this latest technology means customers will be able to change supplier and their meters will stay smart.

Malc

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And what are they proposing to do with those of us who live in black holes where no mobile signal can be had? Incessant demands for something that will never work is very much akin to the demands by TV Licensing that I am under investigation for no License.

Hello ploddertom and I agree. There are a number of challenges facing the smart meter roll-out; not least difficulties with mobile phone signals. Other obstacles are down to issues in specific regions, the type of property and current metering set-ups. There are also certain local difficulties that don't become clear until a technician visits a property.

As you say, the strength of the mobile phone signal is particularly important. We use electronic communications technology similar to the SIM cards in mobile phones to set up a two-way communication between homes/businesses and us. This lets us take meter readings remotely. Some areas show as having a strong enough signal but local circumstances water it down sufficiently to make it unusable for smart meters.

We're working to meet these challenges and are on course to be able to offer smart meters to all our customers by the end of 2020.

Malc

Spin it how you like:

Your organisations letter was

'we are coming to fit a smart meter on xxxxx'

not 'you can have' or 'these are available' or even 'we would like to arrange to come and fit'

... So if they didnt get the letter, or didn't understand it, or didnt understand their options - you arrive and fit them anyway.

.. Just as your telephone op tried to sell it as compulsory until I informed him I knew otherwise.

... These Quite clearly indicate to me a targeted POLICY of pressure and deceit - across much of the industry it would seem.

It has NEVER been compulsory for customers to have a smart (strange name given the many issues)

... although HMG did of course put some stupid 'targets' on the industry (obligations as you put them) (since changed) indicating it was more so for them .

You might be 'obliged' to 'inform' us - BUT we aren't obliged to be harassed or deceived

Also strange how these SMART meters seem to struggle when people (like me) move onto energy efficient led or cfl lighting etc

... plus many other issues

https://www.smart-energy.com/regional-news/europe-uk/inaccurate-smart-meters-readings/

Hello tobyjugg2 and thanks for coming back to me.

Thank you also for your views. It's this type of feedback plus other posts on CAG and similar Forums that help us structure our approach to the smart meter roll-out as well as many of our other activities. I've sent your comments to our senior management team to help inform future decisions.

When did you receive the letter you mention? I ask because we've recently added new wording to our smart meter letters to make it clear to customers that they don't have to agree to smart meters if they prefer not to. This change was as a result of feedback from Forums like CAG. As I say, it's a recent change which is being introduced in stages and it looks like it missed the letter we sent to you.

I'd be interested in other comments you might have and am always happy to feedback as above. As with the recently amended letters, it does have an impact.

Malc

So what are the benefits to the customer Malc?

Well ... Apart from not having to (of course they should though) check the meter readings

... then submit them once a month or so, as I do.

I'll acknowledge in advance that they can more easily see how much the meter is reporting them as using, ... which a none smart meter monitor I was given 'free by a power company many years ago also does.

Other than that, they dont tell you whats using or how to reduce it do they?

Effectively - You are using some electricity/gas - go sort it?

The supplier can cut them off - justified or not (home monitor will help with that - it will show no usage if its got a battery or just be off - like the lights

The supplier apparently can change the tariff without notice - as reported on these forums. Does the home monitor show when a suppliers done that? Or do you just have to figure it out the old way?

Making changing suppliers easier is a no go as often as not they will go dumb, despite using the airwaves and that impact on your wifi router etc.

So what are some real benefits to the customer if any Malc?

(other than assisting risky to health and wealth and well-being 'just trust us' bone idleness?)

Hello tobyjugg2 and thank you for your questions.

Totally appreciate you take your own meter readings regularly so don't see remote reading as a benefit. Regrettably this isn't the case overall. One of the biggest issues we face is estimated bills. These aren't good for the customer or the supplier and smart meters help keep bills accurate so customers only pay for what they use. They're of particular value for customers with disabilities who struggle to read their meters.

Accurate charges will also help take away the shock of large balances following estimated bills. In turn, this will help reduce the amount of debt faced by both the customer and us.

The more accurate billing is generally, the more able suppliers are to gauge how much energy they need to buy to meet predicted future demand. As energy is usually bought in advance, this will help suppliers balance the amount bought with the amount sold and help lessen the impact of a volatile wholesale market. This is better for everyone as it'll help increase price stability.

For savvy customers like yourself, I can see why you regard the In-Home Displays we provide with the meters as of little use. Again, not everyone is as savvy. The monitors are aimed at raising awareness so more customers follow your path and understand what they're using and how they use it. You're right, smart meters by themselves won't save customers money. It's through this raised awareness, based on real time energy use information, that will help customers save money by saving energy. For instance, budgets can be set and alerts will let customers know when they've reached them. This keeps them aware of the ongoing situation rather than face a surprise when they receive their quarterly bill.

The displays help customers see when their tariffs are coming to an end too. This will help alert them to the need to change tariff or supplier so they don't default to a more expensive product. The meter won't change their tariff. It'll let them know when they need to start looking at what's available.

Smart meters also let us know when faults arise so we can proactively fix problems and lessen the impact on customers. The meters have undergone rigorous testing and comply with EU safety, health and environmental requirements.

I agree, the roll-out hasn't gone smoothly and we've faced many demanding challenges. Not least, the loss of smart features when a customer changes supplier. As I posted earlier, we've started fitting the latest SMETS2 meters and next year will begin upgrading the previously supplied SMETS1 meters so they're managed in the same way as SMETS2. This will mean these smart meters won't go dumb following a change of supplier. This is only one of the developments we're working on. As the roll-out continues we, like the other suppliers, will look to refine the technology to better suit a changing energy market. It's an ongoing project that's developing and advancing all the time.

As above, as you're on top of your energy usage, I understand why you see little benefit in smart meters. For our wider customer base, they provide opportunities to become more savvy and to offset some of the difficulties they might've come across previously. At the end of the day, as I mentioned in my first post on this thread, smart meters are optional and customers are free to turn them down. Having all the information will, hopefully, help them decide.

Hope this goes some way towards answering your questions tobyjugg2. Let me know if I've missed anything as happy to help.

Malc

Perhaps add some honest real world benefits to the customer in the letter?

Test em by listing here beforehand

We're waiting ....

Agree tobyjugg2. I've suggested this to management. Something along the lines of what I posted earlier although somewhat briefer.

Thanks for the suggestion and have a good weekend.

Malc

I note what you have said Malc and yes I do have my business energy with yourselves. I was bombarded with letters & cards telling me my meter was to be declared obsolete and had to arrange having a Smart Meter fitted. Downside is I need my electric on during the day as that is when I see my customers and thought should be given to doing the work out of hours. For me the customer there is no benefit bar submitting a meter reading once per month.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Hello ploddertom and thanks for having your business energy with us.

As with residential customers, smart meters are optional and you can refuse our offers to fit them.

I do appreciate your business needs you to be available to suit your customers. If you were to decide to go with smart meters at a future date, your electricity will need to be off for around half an hour. The complete installation takes around one hour to complete. We’re keen to minimise any disruption to your business and will work with you to this end should you wish to book an appointment at a later date. At the end of the day, it's down to you and we're happy to work with you whatever you decide.

Thanks again for your custom ploddertom and have a good weekend.

Malc

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
A couple of points that seem to have been overlooked with smart meters:

1. They are advertising that smart meters will save energy, perhaps somebody could tell me how this will happen. At the moment I have a normal meter, and lets say I need to use 10Kw/h per day. I have a smart meter installed I am still going to use 10Kw/h per day, all I have done is change the meter. So where is this miraculous saving I am going to make?

2. When everybody has a smart meter installed, I can just see the energy suppliers, rubbing their hands with glee, as they suddenly decide to implement 'on demand' charging. So when Coronation Street finishes and everyone goes to makes a cup of tea, suddenly the charge goes up from 15p per unit to 55p per unit. And believe me it will happen eventually.

Hello topcat1802 and you're right. Smart meters by themselves won't save consumers energy and money.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread (post #30 - 23 Nov 18), it's through raised awareness that savings can be made. Many people remain unaware of how much energy they're using. Smart meters, plus the monitors that come with them, will help highlight their usage so they can see where they might be able to cut back and budget more effectively. Similarly, reducing the number of estimated bills will help with budgeting.

Totally appreciate, if you're on top of the usage and already budget effectively, smart meters don't seem to offer many benefits. Regrettably, there are many consumers who aren't so clued up.

On time of use tariffs. Apart from the existing Economy 7/Economy 10 set-ups, we've no current plans to introduce this type of tariff. I can't speak for other suppliers though.

Malc

Hello tobyjugg2 and a Happy New Year.

That's right, to confirm my earlier post, apart from our Economy 7 and Economy 10 products we're not currently offering any other time of use tariffs.

On the letters, as promised (post #24 - 21 Nov 18), I'm continuing to feedback these and similar comments to senior management. Changes have already been made with others in the pipeline and more to come.

Many thanks for your input tobyjugg2.

Malc

My aunt's house has a smart meter - fitted by the current supplier so sense says they should have accurate data and would tailor her monthly payment to her actual usage. Why then do I have to go through the annual fight to get hundreds of pounds repaid to her?

Is your aunt with us hightail?

Malc

What changes would they be Malc?

and still waiting ....

Hello tobyjugg2 and I was talking primarily about changes to many of the letters we send about smart meters.

As above, these include statutory meter exchanges, updates about the roll-out of SMETS2 and upgrades to SMETS1 (posts #10 and #24 - 20 and 21 Nov). We've changed the wording to make it clear smart meters are optional and customers can decline our offers to have them fitted.

Also, in line with your suggestion on 21 Nov (post #25), we're adding details of the benefits similar to those I outlined in my comments on 23 Nov (#post 30) to many of these letters. This is an ongoing project and the details will change as the roll-out continues. Accordingly, our letters will change to reflect these developments. Given the number of letters involved, they go out in batches over a period of time.

What is it you would like to see 'tested.... here beforehand' tobyjugg2?

Malc

Don't think so. Think it's BG but I'd have to check. I can't see a single advantage for her in having the thing but she didn't know there was any choice. I don't see any disadvantage either to be fair as nothing has changed - just a complete waste of time (and money).

No worries hightail. Thought I might be able to add something if it was us.

Thanks for coming back to me.

Malc

The actual content/wording of the letters.

You might think its a hiding to nothing, but I'm sure that any criticism would be intended as either constructive or sheer outrage

... both of which would surely be a valuable ' testing of the waters' before someone ends up going toe to toe with your organisation over some (further?) outrageous and arguably inappropriate communication?

... and you can of course ignore any opinion just as if you hadn't tested the waters ... as apparently has been to date.

'We've changed the wording' tells us nothing, and what we know of prior letters and contacts warrants no 'trust'

You have already gained increasingly poor news items and customer opinion that you need to turn around - not get worse ...

Ah! I see. Thanks for the offer tobyjugg2 but this is something we'll have to decline.

I did explain in a bit more detail above (post #53 - 3 Jan 19) that the letters we've been talking about now make it clear smart meters are optional and customers can turn down our offers to have them fitted. Always happy to discuss specific issues like this as we've doing on this thread.

Thanks again for your kind offer.

Malc

Yes tobyjugg2, we do replace faulty In-Home Displays. What happens will depend on the type of display concerned. We’ve used several different makes and models since starting our smart meter rollout.

Whatever the type, there’s currently no charge to replace faulty displays.

Malc