Back Pay - can anyone help?

traisi
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6605 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

When I started my current job it was in the process of being re-graded. After working for 8 months I was finally paid my new salary, however, the re-grading was actually confirmed to have been valid from before I started work - basically I'd been underpaid for 8 months. The majority of staff have had their jobs reassessed and regraded so I am not alone in this.

So now I've been paid at the correct rate since November '05 but am still awaiting my 8 months back pay. I have recently discovered that this pay will be given 12 months after the date I received my new salary, ie: Nov '06. This is a new tax year and had I been on a much higher salary this back pay might have taken me into a higher tax bracket for this 12 month period which had it been paid on time it would not. (thankfully, or not, I don't earn that much!) Anyway, I'd like to know if I am within my rights to request interest on the sum held back by my employer. It might not be a great deal for myself but there are rather a large number of people in the same position as myself so the interest accrueing on what we are owed could end up being quite a sizeable amount and I wouldn't mind it in my back pocket thanks!

Any comments?

If ever you are going to regret something regret doing it don't regret not doing it.

Barclays : £2740 lba on its way

Halifax: £1270 first request on its way

GM (HFC): £1950 + interest first request on its way

Barclaycard me: - awaiting statements

Barclaycard him: - awaiting statements

Citicard: awaiting statements

Money? It's a gas!

In my Opinion ,

Your contractual rights to Interest on Back pay can only be determined by your individual employment contract (which is probably completely silent on the matter). Custom & Practice and the application of internal processes to your colleagues' T&C's may be relevant to your claim under the Equal Pay Act.

I suggest the following given your fairly recent tenure with your employers

If you have a trade union or staff association body raise the issue on a generalistic and non -identifiable basis through them.

In the absence of the above and your presumed requirement to retain your current employment tread carefully.

You may wish to keep bated breath until at least you have enjoyed/endured one year's employment with the Company.

At that point you wil enjoy certain legal protection in relation to your current employment and your employer will or should be expected to be aware of this.

This should allow you (if you so desire at that time) to put in a backdated claim with minimal chance of receiving the ultimate sanction. In the real world, I would recommend you undertake a mental cost/benefit analysis of taking this step.

This is only an opinion given by an individual who asserts no legal background or qualifications but seeks to assists others throught the exercise of opinons gained through life experience.

Please Read,Interpret and Action entirely at your own risk.

Finally, Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...
  • 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 09 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

If ever you are going to regret something regret doing it don't regret not doing it.

Barclays : £2740 lba on its way

Halifax: £1270 first request on its way

GM (HFC): £1950 + interest first request on its way

Barclaycard me: - awaiting statements

Barclaycard him: - awaiting statements

Citicard: awaiting statements

Money? It's a gas!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6605 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks