Computers make PPI decisions and write rejection letters

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2207 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Victims of Britain’s biggest mis-selling scandal are having their compensation claims rejected —by computers.

Money Mail can reveal that the Financial Ombudsman Service is relying on computer software to decide whether banks should pay redress to people who were flogged payment protection insurance (PPI) alongside their credit cards or loans.

We have seen documents in which senior figures at the Ombudsman, which settles disputes between banks and customers, state that PPI case documents are fed into a computer programme which generates a ‘suggested outcome’.

They admit that although staff can make decisions on whether to force banks to pay redress, they almost always use the verdict spewed out by the computer.

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-5653351/Computers-decide-PPI-victims-payout-explosive-documents-show.html#ixzz5DfSdNhqs

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-5653351/Computers-decide-PPI-victims-payout-explosive-documents-show.html

I happen to know this is true because I am involved in my own PPI claim – finally after many years. I'll be writing about it on the forum during the next few months. It's against Lloyds bank.

Anyway, my claim has eventually gone to the FOS and I have to say that it has been badly handled. But in terms of the template letters, the adjudicator inadvertently sent me a blank template with nothing filled in – simply the prompts. I knew immediately that this was part of the FOS Navigator system.

It was sent to me using my FOS "secure" mailbox. Amazingly I went to access the "secure" mailbox today and it had been emptied of the template and also one or two other messages.

I feel that this is interference with my personal data and I think it is an extremely serious breach.

I'm not surprised that they are slack and cavalier about the way they have started to handle their decision-making process – but I am extremely shocked that they can enter the someone's secure mailbox and then delete messages.

I happen to know this is true because I am involved in my own PPI claim – finally after many years. I'll be writing about it on the forum during the next few months. It's against Lloyds bank.

Anyway, my claim has eventually gone to the FOS and I have to say that it has been badly handled. But in terms of the template letters, the adjudicator inadvertently sent me a blank template with nothing filled in – simply the prompts. I knew immediately that this was part of the FOS Navigator system.

It was sent to me using my FOS "secure" mailbox. Amazingly I went to access the "secure" mailbox today and it had been emptied of the template and also one or two other messages.

I feel that this is interference with my personal data and I think it is an extremely serious breach.

I'm not surprised that they are slack and cavalier about the way they have started to handle their decision-making process – but I am extremely shocked that they can enter the someone's secure mailbox and then delete messages.

Definitely a breach as they have obligations with regards automated decision making which obviously they have not complied with.

Their story is that the Navigator software doesn't make decisions. It simply "suggests" outcomes. However the whistleblower has said that in practice he/she has never come across a single case where the adjudicator has rejected the decision made by the computer.

Doesn’t matter. They are making a decision based purely on the automated processing and therefore need to comply with the relevant sections of the DPA. The GDPR will cause them to evaluate it and they will have to change their procedures I predict.