Tax credit question

help_2015
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2559 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hiya,

My and my partner both work part time and have tax credits, we have completed our renewal for this year

I have been offered a new job to start on August 1st full time with a salary of £25400, my wife is on a Zero hours contract but usually works around 4-8 hours per week - she is currently on maternity leave and have two children- last year her income was £1400 and expect the same this time

I was wondering whether I need to tell the tax office now, when I start or at the end of the financial year?

Will we still be eligible or is the fact I am full time and over £25000 mean we will not ( obviously expecting it to be lower )

hi if it helps if your total income is over £18 thousand pounds , far as I know you are not entitled to WTC but can still have child tax credits, I am sure someone with more knowledge will help better

Sandy x

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

It is not possible to say for sure on the information you have provided. It depends on a number of factors, including any childcare, any disabilities etc. The calculation uses your total household income from last tax year and current tax year.

Use this online calculator to get an idea of entitlement - https://www.gov.uk/tax-credits-calculator

As to when to let them know, calculate the likely income for each of you over this whole tax year and tell them asap. There is small disregard but if your income this year is over that, you must tell them now - if you wait for the end of the tax year, you will get an overpayment. If you prefer - you will have to call them with your new job details anyway, so you can do it all on one call once you start the job and they can adjust your entitlement accordingly.

It is difficult with your partner being zero hours - if you do still qualify and then later in the year she gets more hours / did some overtime / gets a bonus whatever, make sure to recalculate and ensure your income is within the disregards (shown on your award notice) and if outwith that, tell them the new figure asap.