National Insurance demand from 1975-1977

Gick
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2645 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dear Caggers,

long time member on the Motoring Sub forum, now have a problem in the (to my untuitored eye0 murky world of HMRC enforcement.

It takes the form of a demand for 'Payment due £xxx' on form HMRC12/15 and is headed Self-employed Class 2 National Insurance contributions (NICs) due

It shows a summary of outstanding liability periods (all of which include higher rate for late payment).

29/06/75 to 10/04/76

11/04/76 to 09/04/77

10/04/77 to 25/06/77

The form threatens me with reduced pension rights/benefits if I do not pay.

It also threatens that a private debt collection agency May contact me. (I am aware that a DCA has no power so am not worried by this)

I am 72 years of age and have deferred my state pension, but my forecast is that I have 46 years of full contributions up to 2009 (being my pension age), with the minimum requirement for a full pension being 44.

I do not have records going back that far, not sure that many people would, but I have been able to create a date line which gives me confidence that I registered for self employement commencing 01/07/77. This would equate with the above periods when I was in low paid employment, or was unemployed.

Before I try ringing the 0300 number provided, I wondered if any of you more knowledgable posters could give me any suggestions with how to deal with this. I expect that if I do speak to someone, their birth date is likely to post date the relevant period.

Also, how common is it to go this far back without previous notification of potentially missing contributions ie, 'last year you missed ....etc'

Any advice would be very welcome.

My time as a Police Officer and subsequently time working within the Motor Trade gives me certain insights into the problems that consumers may encounter.

I have no legal qualifications.

If you have found my post helpful, please enhance my reputation by clicking on the Heart. Thank you

the gov't must be desparate trawling their records back 40 years trying to get some money to cover its negligent spending! the govt is skint however...:)

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you for the link dx,

I have spoken to HMCR (with recording of course) and it sems that some on line crossover from self assesment triggered a check.

The website had changed since I did my previous self assesment in 2015 with extra verifications etc., and it seemed to imply that I needed to register for self assesment again (not so) and I inputted the wrong date.The letter was sent in error as the system should have recognized that the demand was time barred, even without the wrong dates applied to the commencement of my self employment.

A certificate of no liability will be sent to me.

Pity it was so easily resolved as I was up for a fight! :roll:

My time as a Police Officer and subsequently time working within the Motor Trade gives me certain insights into the problems that consumers may encounter.

I have no legal qualifications.

If you have found my post helpful, please enhance my reputation by clicking on the Heart. Thank you

as you see,

they can take the money out of any benefit you are entitled to.

They decided that your state pension suddenly became a benefit when they wanted to stop paying old people any other benefits.

Glad that this is now sorted.

Have a revisit of the pension forecast for deferrment, you may want to rethink it as the benefit in doing so doesnt catch up with the money you lose for the years you havent taken it.

Also, consider what the actuaries look at as far as life expectancy goes. 15+ Years ago you could make a little by deferring, not now unless you are in a supertax bracket