Airbnb cancellation

drcymru
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2681 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

My sister-in-law (Lucy) booked Airbnb accommodation in Edinburgh for the month of August 2017. She booked this a few months ago. The intention was to spend time at the Edinburgh Festival. She paid up-front for this and a number of us have booked and paid for flights. Earlier this week, the host of the accommodation got in touch and said that Lucy had somehow been given the 2016 price and that she would have to pay £1200 more if she still wanted the accommodation. This is well beyond her budget for the trip and the host has now removed the property from the Airbnb site. The host has refunded Lucy's money. She has been unable to find alternative accommodation that is within her budget. I'm wondering where we stand in trying to reclaim the non-refundable airfares we have paid for?

Any help/suggestions gratefully received.

I think that you have a good basis for a claim.

Please monitor this thread for a fuller response later

I'm using a phone so I still can't reply very fully.

however, I'm quite sure that you have a contract that the cancellation amounts to a breach of contract and that you are at least entitled to recover all of your reasonable losses.

I would I would also say that the Host would be liable to compensate you for any money that you have to spend in excess of the agreed price to get equivalent accomodation.

Thanks for the reply.

You have essentially echoed my own feeling on this matter. I'm not quite sure how to proceed at this point.

I'm wondering if there are different routes for recovering losses given the accommodation was in Scotland?

Im not convinced..it all depends on the AirBnB T & C's, I suspect a AirBnB host is able to cancel bookings (within a reasonable timescale), to claim you have made a loss due to one person cancelling accommodation seems a bit dubious to me.