Warranty issue

Szofar
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2705 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi i need some urgent advice

I bought a 5 burner glass hob march 2016 (9 months ago).

It was fitted with the new kitchen.

Hob was supplied by the kitchen manufacturers.

Hob manufacturers are CDA.

Advertised as 2 year warranty

My wife was warming milk in a light pan when the glass all shattered.

Felt like a bomb exploding in the house.

Really shook everyone up especially the wife.

Quite confidently i assumed i will ring CDA in the morning and it will be replaced.

Rang in the morning

i was informed that glass is only covered for 6 MONTHS

but if i can send the images in they can have a look at it as a good will gesture.

Got a return email stating that they have had a look at the images and it is not caused by manufacturers defect.

It was caused by oversize pan or on impact.

I argued how can you tell by the images that it was caused by impact or oversized pan.

I also argued that i bought the appliance from your catalogue and clearly it states 2 yrs warranty and no evidence of 6months for the glass.

First i was told it states it on the card with appliance so i had to buy the appliance before i become aware of this

then she tried to tell me that i should have read terms and conditions on their website before buying it.

Buy this time i was really annoyed and asked her how many times have YOU bought a appliance and from the shop you have gone on to the manufacturers website to read term and conditions.

Well that got her a bit moody and asked me to email in and it will be passed to our management.

This is a extract from their terms and conditions they are refering to:

which are not covered( NO 6 MTHS MENTIONED)

Consumables and cosmetic parts such as glass, bulbs, seals, fuses, filters, external hoses, cosmetic parts, baskets, trays, burner caps, burner bases etc.

So please can anyone help with advice to, where i stand because i fell like im being fobed off

Any advice will be appreciated

CRA / soga is your friend and that against the RETAILER

warranties are not worth the paper they are written on

and do not replace your statutory rights.

dx

• Haha 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Yes. You are covered by the Consumer Rights Act which requires that the item be of satisfactory quality and remain that way for a reasonable period of time. I would have thought several years of use at least. You're quite right that if there is some additional warranty – which as has already been pointed out is probably not a lot of use – then at the very least the terms of that warranties must be disclosed before the contract is made.

Like you, I don't really understand how they can figure out from a photograph of broken glass that an incorrectly sized pan has been placed on the glass. In any event, what relevance has it got if the pan is incorrectly sized – unless they are referring to the weight of the pan. However, if it is an issue of weight then I can't even imagine that an oversize pan would be that heavy to shatter glass.

I think that you need to start off by sending a letter to the supplier of the unit in which you should detail exactly what has happened, how it has happened and telling them that under the Consumer Rights Act they are liable for either repair or replacement. Say to them that you have already provided photographs and that you have received an opinion from them that they consider that the damage has been caused by the use of an oversize pan. Point out to them that this is not the case at all – but if they insist on this position then please would they explain to you how they are able to determine what pan size is used from the photograph – and why would an oversize pan course the glass to shatter anyway.

I think it is very important that you asked these questions – even if you don't get a reply. In fact, if you don't get a reply then I think it will be more telling and more helpful to you if later on you have to bring some action.

Eventually, it may be that your only recourse is to bring a small claim in the County Court. You have had about eight months of use out of the hob and so this means that if eventually they refunded you, they would be entitled to make a reasonable deduction for eight months use which you have had. You would calculate this by taking the purchase price of the item, dividing it by the number of months of expected use – say, six years (72 months) and then subtracting nine months value from the new purchase price. This would be a reasonable settlement.