PPI Claims Company cancelled our agreement, but are still claiming a share of the payout

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2712 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Earlier in the year I received a letter from a well-known PPI claims company saying that they believed I had a valid claim against my bank (they named the bank) and that if I signed their form they would do everything on my behalf - of course I didn't properly read all the conditions and figured that as I wasn't even aware that I could make a claim that I might get something for nothing.

They then emailed me to say that they couldn't continue with the claim unless I provided additional information on the loan I took out.

As I didn't have any information from that time (and figured there wasn't much chance of making a claim) I told them to cancel the arrangement.

They immediately mailed me back and told me that our arrangement was cancelled and that they would not contact me again.

Three months later - to my surprise - my bank contacted me to tell me that the claim had been successful and gave me a form to fill out with my bank details so they could make the payment to me.

The same day I received a letter from the claims company asking me to fill in the details on a form to send to the Ombudsmen, and from then on I started receiving phone calls, letters and emails from the claims company at the rate of one or two a day.

I ignored the letters ('Return to Sender') without opening them, ignored their calls and voice mails, but read their emails. Because I was ignoring them I then started getting calls from a mobile leaving a message 'Hi Chris, it's Pete, can you give me a call mate' - presumably hoping I would assume it was a friend calling me and just call it back.

This harassment has gone on for over a week, despite me emailing them several times to tell them that we cancelled our arrangement (and I have proof that they agreed to that cancellation).

They have, however, now sent me a bill for 'completing the claim on my behalf'.

My first opinion was that they have no legal right to claim any money, as our arrangement was cancelled - and because THEY told ME that they couldn't proceed without further information from me - which I didn't provide (I assume that by that point they had already contacted my bank).

However, now I'm concerned that by not paying them I might be in the wrong - especially as I didn't read their terms and conditions.

Can anyone advise?

(What I'm hoping is that someone can tell me that under paragraph X of Law Y they cannot claim any monies off me after they have agreed to cancel the contract. If in indeed that is the case, then can I send them an invoice for all the harassment they have subjected me to, and the time and effort I have expended on it, and indeed the stress they have caused?).

Just to put things into context, it was only a small loan and the repayment offer was less than £2,000.

Cheers,

Chris.

No signed agreement

Simply ignore them

You cancelled

You have proof

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...