• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Sarah V Time Retail Finance **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5937 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i emailed again and this is what i got in reply---------------------------------------------------

Without Prejudice

Dear Sarah,

Thank you for your email.

I am awaiting instructions which I hope to have soon but it is extremely unlikely that my client will agree to pay the sum you ask as a goodwill gesture.

You must understand that you husband has not paid what you claim. This is a simple point and you have previously agreed that he cannot seek to recover what he has not paid.

Further, the offer to remove the default notice is made purely as a goodwill gesture. The default notice was because your husband failed to make payments in accordance with his obligations not because of any charges debited because of the missed payments. Despite what you say, this fact is indisputable.

Not withstanding the above two points I am seeking instructions and will revert to you as soon as I am inn possession of these.

Kind regards.

Phil

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

we are going round in circles again.................... what are your thoughts Steven?

I've beat HSBC, GE Money and Abbey

Court pending V Barclays and Time Retail

I don't totally agree with the statement "he cannot seek to recover what he has not paid". I see where he is coming from, but there is also the issue that they had his money and you did not. Further, they used it to make a profit with whilst you were without it. Justice demands some recompense for that.

You ask for my thoughts - in the short term I would wait and see what instructions Phiip gets from Time. Once you know that, you may have a better idea how to procede.

I don't totally agree with the statement "he cannot seek to recover what he has not paid". I see where he is coming from, but there is also the issue that they had his money and you did not. Further, they used it to make a profit with whilst you were without it. Justice demands some recompense for that.

You ask for my thoughts - in the short term I would wait and see what instructions Phiip gets from Time. Once you know that, you may have a better idea how to procede.

Thanks Steven, your advice is very much appreciated. I'll let you know what comes next!

this is more like what i wanted but not quite there. appreciate your opinion as always Steven-----------------

----------------------------------------

Without Prejudice & Subject to Contract

Dear Sarah,

My client is willing to pay £650 to your husband in full and final settlement of his claim. You will appreciate that this sum is more than he has paid and will be paid as a goodwill gesture.

Please confirm that this is acceptable and I shall immediately send to you a consent order to reflect the terms of the agreement to be signed by your husband.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards.

Philip

-------------------------------------------------

How far short of what you want is this? You could either jsut hang in until they give in or use this as an opportunity to do a bit of bargaining with Philip - for example, if the outstanding amount is mainly interest, you could offer to go halves, or something like that.

hi Steven, Thanks for replying.

Amount on spreadsheet for claim about £1000- made of £350 charges and to date £615 interest (basic interest as on original claim).

Philip is saying that i am not entitled to any interest as the admin order stopped that from being applied to the debt which is now settled. With me so far? !!!

Dont want to accept this offer, i want to hold out for more and am well prepared to go to court if need be. Could you help me with the wording for my reply to him. Thanks again :)

Time debt turned into CCJ then was tied to 1 other outstanding debt with barclays (not ccj) then applied for administration order. first instalment of Admin order was june 05. it was paid in full in oct/nov 07.

The interest figure was reached by applying 31.99% on vamps spreadsheet. Think we realised i should have claimed compounded a few posts ago but as basic interest was all i put on my spreadsheet and submitted to court thought i should continue...

i accepted their offer shortly after posting last on this forum, i have heard nothing since despite emailing philip several times.

We were exchanging several emails a day and after all this time my patience is wearing a little thin! Be glad to burn my file and forget all about Time aka GE money:cool:

I appreciate the frustration - I went through all this too.

ps. Don't burn the file though, it is a valuable resource for taking on other banks/card companies. For your friends and family even if you don't do it again yourself. I cut and paste bits of mine all the time in answer to questions on these threads.

Just got this--------------------

Without Prejudice & Subject to Contract

Dear Sarah,

Apologies for the slight delay in reverting to you.

Your husband and my client are in agreement as far as the amount of £650 as goodwill gesture is concerned.

However, I am advised that the default notice is not held with my client, GE Money. Rather it is held with Atkiv Capital, an completely separate and independent company. Accordingly, I am afraid that it is simply not possible for GE to remove the default. It is purely a matter for Atkiv and you will have to contact them in this regard.

I attach a revised Consent Order for your husband to sign and return should the offer of £650 remain acceptable. I look forward to hearing from you.

Please give me a call should you wish to discuss this matter.

Kind regards.

Philip

-------------------------------------

doesnt sound right that i should have to contact aktiv for the default removal- debt was started with time. Also though aktiv was a division of ge. What do you think?

steven, please can you read my last post. Does it sound like another excuse that GE say they cannot remove the default and its up to aktiv? Doesnt it seem strange that they would remove the default if i accepted £400 but at £650 cant. Your thoughts much appreciated....

Do you have the "remove the default if i accepted £400" in writing?

I asked some of my colleagues about this (which is why I haven't replied sooner) and they have some questions (I can't remember all the details of your case):

did the outstanding charges exceed the amount of the debt at the time the default notice was issued?

is this is subject to an administration order? (if so, we doubt that under normal circumstances you could force them to remove the default directly).

There might be a seperate right of action, however, if the charges at the date the case was issued were greater than the default balance.

Do you have the "remove the default if i accepted £400" in writing?

Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 14:11:42 -0500

To: sarah

Subject: RE: Burton v time retail finance

.ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P{padding:0px;}.ExternalClass EC_body.hmmessage{font-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;}

WITHOUT PREJUDICE AND SUBJECT TO CONTRACT

Dear Sarah,

I am pleased to confirm that my client is willing as a gesture of goodwill and as a matter of commercial expediency, to make a settlement offer in respect of your husband's claim.

It is willing to:

(a) Pay to your husband the sum of £430; and

(b) Remove the Default Entry.

This offer is conditional on a consent order being entered into. If your husband agrees then we will send you a draft Order for signing immediately. This, as you will appreciate, is a generous offer especially in circumstances where your husband has not actually paid off the balance and where the default notice was properly recorded with the credit reference agencies.

I asked some of my colleagues about this (which is why I haven't replied sooner) and they have some questions (I can't remember all the details of your case):

did the outstanding charges exceed the amount of the debt at the time the default notice was issued?

The charges (arrears letters etc) are £348 and the debt was recorded at £480.91 on the admin order so i think the answer is yes if i've understood the question!

is this is subject to an administration order? (if so, we doubt that under normal circumstances you could force them to remove the default directly).

It was but the admin order has been settled now.

There might be a seperate right of action, however, if the charges at the date the case was issued were greater than the default balance.

Hope i've answered correctly. thanks again for your help

In that case I would write in answer to the letter in post #120 and copy this letter back to them. Ask them why they could offer defauklt removal on 24 JAnuary but not now. Tell them you will settle for the £650 and default removal.