Birth records and the Data Protection Act 1998

George563
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2811 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

All this talk about obtaining medical records on this forum reminded me of obtaining my own a few years ago.

Back in 2007 and 2008, I obtained some medical records of my own health under the Data Protection Act 1998. These consist of hospital records (such as a routine operation that I had back in 1988), GP records, child development records and so on.

I also obtained my birth records (it tells me when I was born, when the delivery of placenta was, my Apgar score etc).

This is the crux of the matter, and this is what I am asking - as they are pregnancy records, they are obviously regarded as being the mother's medical records, but I am arguing that if one happened to be the baby born as a result of the pregnancy, they should also be seen as one's own personal records under the Data Protection Act 1998. What do you think?

I obtained them under the Access to Patient Records Act 1990 as my mother is now deceased and passed away before I obtained them, but my point is that a record of one's birth is just as much a Data Protection thing, so why did I need to access it as if it was just my late mother's records? Would I have been able to obtain them under Data Protection Act 1998 if she had still been alive at the time?

I believe that birth records should automatically be seen under Data Protection Act 1998. Does anyone agree with this?

A CAG member is who I am

I really hate things if they are a [prob-lam]

Well, I was able to obtain my deceased parent's medical records as the next of kin, a short time after their death, under the same Act. It was rather like reading somebody's diary though and felt 'wrong,' although it was for a particular cause.