Tesco - Morphy Richards Kettle

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2861 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My parents purchased us an expensive (£49.99) Morphy Richards Pyramid kettle Sept 2014. In Jan 2015 it failed and we had to exchange it for a new one. Roughly Jan 2016 it started to drip from the bottom and is now pouring out so have had to stop using it. The kettle came with a 2 year warranty however it appears you had to register it online to get that.

It is my understanding all electrical items are covered in the EU for 2 years and under the sale of goods act I feel I am covered to. I have presented this to Tesco who said that would do a 12+ month claim but then told me it come back has having 0 value so are not going to do anything.

Is this a job for the small claims court? I have given Tesco 14 days to remedy this by email. Advice please

Thanks

Rob

Hi and welcome to CAG

I don't think this is worth any further action. If you took it to court, you would probably win but get a nominal figure plus your costs. Is it worth it?

As this was covered by the Sale of Goods Act, any failure within the first 6 months would be deemed to have been there from manufacture hence the reason Tesco swapped it the first time.

After 6 months it is down to the consumer to prove the fault was there from manufacture which will involve the expense of getting a report done with no guarantee that the report will come down on your side.

If you live in a hard or very hard water area, this will cause kettles to leak. regular descaling is the only option in these cases.

Personally, accept it and get another one. There are many cheaper kettles out there that will do the job just as well. Sorry if that is not what you want to hear.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Hi and welcome to CAG

I don't think this is worth any further action. If you took it to court, you would probably win but get a nominal figure plus your costs. Is it worth it?

As this was covered by the Sale of Goods Act, any failure within the first 6 months would be deemed to have been there from manufacture hence the reason Tesco swapped it the first time.

After 6 months it is down to the consumer to prove the fault was there from manufacture which will involve the expense of getting a report done with no guarantee that the report will come down on your side.

If you live in a hard or very hard water area, this will cause kettles to leak. regular descaling is the only option in these cases.

Personally, accept it and get another one. There are many cheaper kettles out there that will do the job just as well. Sorry if that is not what you want to hear.

Agree about whether it is worth it.

If the OP has the Tesco receipt or something to confirm when it was supplied, they could try Morphy Richards. Even though the warranty was not registered, they might do something.

Last time i bought the Tesco standard stainless steel kettle for about £15 and 3 years later no leaks. Buy any kettle with too much plastic and they will start leaking after a period. Some kettles have a plastic viewing window so you can see the water level and it leaks from there. So i would not buy any kettle with such a plastic viewing window or level indicator, as it is pretty obvious that it is a weak point.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread