Caught doing 44 in a 30mph road

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2815 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there was coming down a hill in east sussex and there was a police van waiting by the side of the road and a speed gun.

I got pulled over and given a pink slip and the officer let me know I will be charged and 3 points or can do a speed awareness course.

I fully co-operated and was just wondering whats going to happen next as never been through this proceedure before.

The offence took place last thursday so over a week ago and I havent recieved anything in the post.

Thanks for any advice and/ or help, much appreciated.

BB

If you are caught speeding

- The owner of the car will be sent a notice of intended prosecution (NIP) detailing the offence and a document called a section 172 notice.

Whether you agree with the NIP or not you must complete the section 172 notice declaring who was driving the car at the time of the offence within 28 days.

If you were stopped by a police officer they can give you a verbal warning of prosecution and a NIP is not required if the offence was part of a road traffic accident.

If you receive a speeding ticket

– Once the NIP is returned you’ll receive a conditional offer of a fixed penalty notice (FPN).

You can either pay the fine and accept the penalty points or contest the fine in court.

To uphold the fine a court only needs to prove you were speeding.

Saying that you did not intend to speed, didn’t realise you were speeding or you only exceeded the limit briefly won’t hold water.

If you are prosecuted for speeding

– If you have eight or more points on your licence, or you were driving way above the speed limit, the police may choose to prosecute you in court.

In this eventuality you will be sent a court summons

- the police have up to six months to issue it.

• Haha 1

You are unlikely to be offered a speed awareness course as the normal cut off point for them is 10%+9mph over the speed limit, i.e. 42 in a 30.

Most likely you will be sent an offer of a fixed penalty, ie 3 points and £100.

This could take a few weeks to arrive

- if you have heard nothing in a couple of months it may be worth phoning the central ticket office for the force in question (Google the number or use 101) to check that it hasn't gone missing in the post, as if you don't respond to it you will be summomsed to court, where the fine and points are likely to be higher.

(There will be no NIP or s172 notice as you were stopped at the time)

• 2 weeks later...

You'd be very lucky if you were able to take a course after doing 44.

They usually use that for "borderline" offences (e.g. up to 40 in a 30).

For you to be clocked at 44, your speedo was probably indicating about 48, so it's not like you just crept over the 30 limit.

• 1 month later...

Hi all thanks for your responses on here.

I have paid the 100 fine (begrudgingly!)

And

Sent off my drivers license for points to be added

My question is....when should I update my driving insurance to reflect the points once they have been added. How do I know when they have actually, physically added the points? I dont want to be driving around with a void insurance policy?

Any advice for cheaper car insurance now I am a convicted speeder?

I must say I am dissappointed, people like me are the ones who should get a drivers awareness course....it could be beneficial! However the traffice offense gang only seem interested in enriching their own and the dvla's pockets!!!

Thanks caggers

Your insurance documents will say when you need to tell your insurer about the points - with most insurers it won't be until your renewal date. However telling them now means that there's no risk of forgetting and shouldn't affect your premium until you renew.

Three points for speeding won't usually make a lot of difference to your premium anyway - just use the comparison sites to shop around. It's not as if you're a drunk driver or some other pariah who the mainstream insurers won't touch.

If the police only cared about making money they'd have sent you on a course - that way they keep the course fees (allegedly to pay for traffic enforcement). Fines and fixed penalties go straight to to the treasury, where they are swallowed up as a tiny drop in the great ocean of general government spending. There's no benefit to the police in handing out fixed penalties.

Your insurance documents will say when you need to tell your insurer about the points - with most insurers it won't be until your renewal date. However telling them now means that there's no risk of forgetting and shouldn't affect your premium until you renew.

Three points for speeding won't usually make a lot of difference to your premium anyway - just use the comparison sites to shop around. It's not as if you're a drunk driver or some other pariah who the mainstream insurers won't touch.

If the police only cared about making money they'd have sent you on a course - that way they keep the course fees (allegedly to pay for traffic enforcement). Fines and fixed penalties go straight to to the treasury, where they are swallowed up as a tiny drop in the great ocean of general government spending. There's no benefit to the police in handing out fixed penalties.

Thanks for your detailed response. Much appreciated