Insurance saying its 100% my fault - what happens now?

Trillian
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2945 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I hope someone can help with the below. This is all new to me and it's making me very stressed!

I was involved in an accident a month ago. This is my version of events.

I drove down a slip road then joined a dual carriageway. Shortly after this I overtook the car in front. I checked mirrors and it was safe to change lanes. As I was moving into the lane I felt a collision take place. Looked in my rear view mirror and saw a car behind me. They have damage to their front passenger side wing (small car). I had a scuff on my rear driver side alloy (I have a 4x4) but no actual damage to my car so will not be claiming.

In my opinion they were not in the lane when I started the manoeuvre. I have said I assume they were in the same lane as me but then we both moved to overtake at the same time. The driver of the other car was very young with a brand new car. For him to come out of knowhere I think speed was a part of it but insurance said they are not interested in that.

Initially I was told any claim would be a split claim. Now I have been told the other party have said it was all my fault, I drove into their lane etc. My insurance company are saying that it will go as 100% my fault as its up to me to make sure it's safe to pull out (I did the lane was clear!) and the other person was more established in the lane based on their version of events. There are no witnesses or cameras.

I have said I do not accept 100% that it was my fault. I've been driving for 18 years and I guess I'm lucky this was my first accident and lucky my kids were not in the car. Also a lesson learned is to to have my dashcam turned on as I had unplugged it!

I just want to know what happens now? Do I have to accept this? How does it affect my renewal (due soon!) if a claim is 100% my fault or say 50% my fault?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

It will make no practical difference if the claim is settled even 1% against you rather than 100% - if it's in any way your fault then you lose your no claims and your premiums will be affected.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

I drove down a slip road then joined a dual carriageway. Shortly after this I overtook the car in front. I checked mirrors and it was safe to change lanes.

Sorry, but you should never commit to a maneuver without making a final safety check by looking over your shoulder. Mirrors do not give the whole picture and it is easy to misjudge the presence of another vehicle. Even if you think you were not at fault, by your own admission, you moved in to the path of another vehicle.

As reallymadwoman has pointed out, your NCB has gone regardless of the proportion of blame assigned.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

It will make no practical difference if the claim is settled even 1% against you rather than 100% - if it's in any way your fault then you lose your no claims and your premiums will be affected.

Agree it makes no difference if you are not claiming for damage to your car. If you were claiming off your own policy for repair work, you would be interested in level of fault, as you would be looking to claim back part of your excess and any other uninsured losses.

Without any contrary evidence, it sounds like you pulled out after not seeing the other car due to a blind spot. If you don't have a blind spot mirror, you can get one from Halfords and you can attach it to your current drivers side wing mirror.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thank you everyone that's exactly what I needed to know.

I did check over my shoulder, I realise I left that out of my account above but I said that to my insurers. My car is a new 4x4 and it has large mirrors with those extra bits of the mirrors that mean you have a better view. I'm my opinion the other party was not in the lane when I moved over but I understand now none of that matters as reallymadwoman said 1% or 100% fault has the same implications.

The person at the insurance company said that if the other persons claim was for £100 or £10000 it would make the same difference to my renewal price. Is that true?

My renewal is due next month, what do I put when asked about the value of an outstanding claim?

Not strictly true about it not making any difference how much is claimed. I think some Insurers apply a higher loading to future renewal premiums, depending on whether the claim is over a certain amount. When a claim is made against a policy, you have an affect on no claims if not protected and a premium loading system as well.

When you come to renew and look at alternative Insurance, you need to enter the accident event date , that it was a fault accident and approx claim amount if known. The Insurers claims dept might know approx claim value.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread