Microwave (Sharp) from Waitrose - repair - who should sort?

J0601
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2973 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I bought a microwave (Sharp) from Waitrose on 26th Feb this year. It has a fault whereby when you close the door sometimes the light doesn't go off and if you then press the top of the microwave it switches itself on (so potentially dangerous).

I took it back to Waitrose on Friday. They informed me that as it was outside of the 30 days, they'd have to send it for repair. I wasn't overly happy as I would rather get a refund and get a different make, but I left it with them and they gave me a loan machine. Told me it would take 2-6 weeks.

They have just phoned me to say that they're very sorry but they can't deal with Sharp, so I have to go and pick it up, take the loan machine back (10+ mile round trip) and sort it myself.

Surely my contract is with Waitrose, not Sharp? What are my rights? I had less hassle from Tesco with a microwave that was almost a year old, they gave me a refund without any quibbles. To be honest, I expected better of Waitrose/John Lewis Group.

Shop is responsible if product is not in working order from when it was sold.

Contact Waitrose head office to make a complaint.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

They're saying that it's outside the 30 days so they can't give me a refund. I've phoned JL technical support (from the number on the guarantee they gave me) and they don't know why the store can't deal with it either.

It is quite clear under the consumer rights act 2015, that the retailer is responsible within the first 6 months, to offer a repair, replacement or full refund. After 30 days, they can see if it can be repaired, but if this is not possible, it is either a replacement or full refund.

Get onto their head office to make a complaint.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Time to educate Waitrose/John Lewis Group J0601 :-)

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for your responses. I have also phoned Trading Standards who also advised me of the 6 month thing, so I'm going to call the manager now to see what he will do about it. The lady at Trading Standards said it will also be reported that it's not in their Ts & Cs that certain repairs have to be dealt with direct (something about a potential restriction of rights - can't remember the exact term she used).

I only bought the blooming thing from there as I thought their customer services were better than a lot of companies!

I suspect John Lewis would know the law, but they don't train supermarket staff in the latest laws that apply. Or Waitrose were trying to get away with you taking it up with Sharp direct under warranty, so they did not have to deal with it.

I've spoken to the Duty Manager. He sounded quite surprised when I told him I'd been told to collect it and deal with Sharp myself. He is going to investigate and call me back. I said I'd rather have a refund but understand that outside of 30 days they have to have one chance to repair/replace, but it's only 6 weeks old. He did ask how much it cost so I'm hoping that as it wasn't a mega expensive one (only £65) they will just refund.

I'm quite amazed that Waitrose are taking this attitude and I can only imagine that it is somebody at that particular store who has not been properly trained up for it.

This is completely out of character for anything to do with John Lewis.

I suggest that you tweet A message about it including the following tweet addresses - @waitrose @JLcustserv and including the following URL cag.tw/1pqq which is our short URL to this thread.

It would surprise me if you didn't get some kind of response very quickly

There you are -

@waitrose @JLcustserv Failing to respect consumer rights over new microwave. This is out of character for JL cag.tw/1pqq

RvbRvneq_reasonably_small.jpeg

Waitrose

ico_verified-1407009642236.png

@waitrose

@Real_CAG Hi, please call us on 0800 188 884 (option 5) and one of our advisors will assist. Thanks.

That was quick.

I suggest that you phone that number even though you are already dealing with somebody else. The more you stir it up the better

Blimey that was quick!

I'm really surprised too, their reputation is one of the main reasons I bought from them so I am expecting it to be a breakdown in communication somewhere along the line.

I am still waiting for call back from Duty Manager (he said to give him an hour to investigate), so hopefully I'll get a satisfactory resolution soon :) - Edit - I'll give the manager the chance to call back before I escalate :)

Store manager has just called back. They're still insisting I have to deal direct with Sharp. The only concession is that he's going to arrange to have the broken one dropped off. Not impressed.

Store manager has just called back. They're still insisting I have to deal direct with Sharp. The only concession is that he's going to arrange to have the broken one dropped off. Not impressed.

You have the number to call their head office now. But store are responsible and no doubt head office will tell them.

Well customer services are going to speak to store but it seems only to find out why they can't deal with Sharp direct. I have informed them that Trading Standards are going to 'report' them for the fact that this is not mentioned in Ts & Cs.

Youre speaking to CS reps. The same reps that man the twitter feed. Get on to the CEO and demand to know why his staff are breaking UK law and regulation and what he intends to do to solve this.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Right, I've now spoken to Sharp who were very good and have arranged a replacement (swap at the door) on Thursday. Now, if John Lewis/Waitrose published this information rather than implying that they organise ALL returns, this would have been a very straightforward case. I said to the customer services man from Waitrose that had I known there was a possibility of having to organise it myself, I would have called first before traipsing down there, saving everyone a load of aggro.

The only continued fly in the ointment is that I noticed (while on the phone to Sharp) that Waitrose sent back the microwave without the turntable! Thankfully, Sharp aren't worried about that.

Make sure YOU dont pay a single penny for any repairs or delivery. The law says thats for waitrose to sort. Not you.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

You've still been done over. Sharp is nothing to do with you, the only ones you have to talk to is the shop where it was purchased.

Terms and Conditions don't count either, it doesn't matter what they include in those. If it is in the T&Cs then it is a criminal offence as they are attempting to take away your statutory right.

Don't leave it there, make your report to Trading Standards and get back onto Twitter and let the world know.

A couple of email addresses you should make a complaint to:

Sir Charlie Mayfield Chairman - charlie_mayfield@johnlewis.co.uk

Mr Andy Street Managing Director - andy_street@johnlewis.co.uk

Don't be afraid, go to the top, they obviously don't know what is happening on the lower floors.

My read on what happened.

A case of bad communications and shop staff not knowing the process with microwaves. I suspect given that faulty microwaves can present a hazard, that Waitrose have an arrangement with manufacturers. This is not removing consumer rights, but simply the customer phones the manufacturers helpline and says they have a faulty microwave from Waitrose. There is then an arrangement to take away the faulty item and replace it.

Because the shop staff did not know the process, they have ended up with an unhappy customer and a CAG thread casting a negative light on the company. I would expect a company like Waitrose to have a staff manual in each store on their returns policy for each product sold. It should then be simple i.e faulty microwave within 6 months, customer will get a replacement direct from manufacturers, but customer needs to phone to organise delivery and for faulty item to be taken away.

Very simply, the seller has a choice of repairing, replacing or refunding. They cannot pass the problem on but may have an arrangement regarding the repair or replace options and have somehow got their knickers in a twist over this and the staff concerned havent been trained in the correct procedures (probably never come across the issue before) and so have misdirected you.

As suggested, speak to the top and explain carefully what has gone on and be clear what you want as a resolution. They can replace with a more expensive alternative but cant ask you to pay the difference (unless you demand an all singing-all-dancing model that is not effectively the same as the faulty one).