fixed penalty for supposedly throwing a cigarette stub

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2961 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone I need some of your expert help please, so here goes.

My hubby was standing chatting while in town, he had a cigarette and when finished smoking it stubbed it out and put it in his pocket.

Seconds latter a environment officer issued him with a fixed penalty of £75.00, Hubby asked why, he replied I have just seen you throw the cigarette over the fence. My hubby replied I didn't here it is, and showed him the stub

The officer replied I have you on camera, but would not show the footage.

We have written an appeal letter stating all the above,

What can we do next or what will there next steps be.

Thank you

sunnydee x

Appeal,

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Send an FOI request for all the details including the footage.

Come back here when you find out more

Hi

what is a FOI request, is this sent directly to the council.

thank you

sunnydee

Yes - it needs to be sent to the Council and is your husband's request to be provided with the relevant CCTV footage. You can ask under the Freedom of Information Act or the Data Protection Act. They may or may not charge a £10 fee for providing this.

Google the correct department for your own Council or send the request to the originating department for the charge notice

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

hi

received a letter to day from my local council saying they have receive my request, I need to make a £10.00 payment and show some ID.

They will then forward all information..

SO... does this mean the should send the so called footage.

Thanks

Sunneydee

Once you have paid the fee, and provided ID then yes they wil forward the footage.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

the annoying thing about this SAR is the council gets £10 for nothing.

I would reiterate to them that the offence didnt occur and your hubby wants the fine cancelled or they provide copy of the evidence that satisfies them that their employee wasnt mistaken bearing in mind he has a witness and physical evidence that there was no offence.

Also, you say that he was accused of throwing the butt over a fence- onto whose land? Doesnt necessarily mean that no offence committed by discarding ciggy butt onto private property but that wouldnt be in the remit of the enforcement officer to issue a PCN

They will have to make to footage available before the matter goes to trial and I bet that the tape will start and finish at times that do not include the conversation with the EO. The time stamp of the next bit of footage will show how much has been chopped. I am all for the police and these EO's wearing body cameras as long as they have no control over when the filming starts and stops. It makes a massive difference t the behaviour of all of the parties when they know that the tape cannot be edited by the wearer.