HA failing to carry out repairs

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2978 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok. I'm a HA tenant and have been for 15 years. Last year I booked several repairs with my landlord, they consistently failed to show then cancelled jobs due to "no access". I had two repairs completed on an emergency weekend call out, one of them was done twice. I wasted a weeks holiday (5 days) waiting for them not to show. So far this year they've missed two appointments which is another two days wasted holiday, they were due to arrive today at 8.30 to replace a kitchen unit that is rotten and falling apart after numerous leaks that they've failed to fix. So far they're not here and on past experience I don't think they're coming. It was arranged that they would start the job and I would go to work and they would complete and then lock up and leave. This was because I refused to take any more time off although they weren't happy with this. If they fail to show obviously I have to go through the complaints process however can I invoice them for my wasted time? When we get a gas service appointment for the boiler they threaten us with £40 charge if we miss it, can I do the same to them? Obviously today I haven't taken a day off but I have lost two days holiday waiting for them to not show. I'm just not sure what I can do to force them to stop messing about and do the repairs they're supposed to.

Last years repairs were,

A rotten front door that started to fall apart when I knocked it with the hoover. One complete no show, one assessment done and then door finally replaced when I got ****y. Boiler replacement that they tried to cancel at the last minute because their fitter had a sore eye, I refused to let them. One leaking radiator in the bathroom that was forcing the boiler to cut out due to low pressure.... turned up 3 days early, 2 emergency calls, bathroom light switch, turned up 3 days early one emergency call. Seal in living room window gone, turned up 3 days early, job cancelled due to "no access". The window has finally been assessed last week and surprise it needs replacing. They're allegedly coming on 13th April for that one.

If I didn't pay my rent I would be homeless yet they seem to think I have time to waste, so frustrated!!!

you can sue for your lost time at your normal pay rate for breach of contract. you better have all of the dates and times to hand becuase you must show that this is a repeated problem and not really just coincidental one -offs. Turning up early isnt somehting you can really complain about and get compensation for loss of earnings as the job would have needed to be done and you have thus saved another day, regardless of how inconvenient.

Best write to the trustees of the HA in person and tell them about the problems, your loss of earnings/holiday due to their continual no-shows and ask them to make good these losses or you will resort to legal action to recover your earnings. You may well find yourself invited to a meeting with one of the trustees and other management to discuss the problems. They will want to find out how determined you are in following this up and the strength of your arguments. Find a few previous decisions on this such as the original one against Britsh Gas to quote to them and they will see that you are serious.

As for the turning up on the 13th, if they dont then drop them a bill for your time waiting in.

Turning up early was a problem. I was on holiday and arranged to come back a day early to accommodate the repairs. They turned up three days before when I was still away then cancelled the jobs because they had no access.

They did in fact arrive an hour late this morning and then a second fitter came to help. When I left for work they were well on their way to replacing my cupboard, will see later how it all looks. The guys themselves are pretty good, it's the HA and the company contracted to do the repairs that are the problem.

I can get all the dates off my account online :-)