Garage installed clutch plate backwards

pencil
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2962 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Garage installed a new clutch plate BACKWARDS six months ago in my volvo which broke during a long drive away, que new repair needed plus lots of expenses. Shall I start with a notice before action, including copies of receipts etc? What is the garage liable for and what do I need to do? Thank you in advance.

It's not, they could conceivably put the Clutch DISC in the wrong way round but they wouldn't be able to select reverse, or any other gear, to get it off the ramp after the repair.

I do worry about some of the posts on here lately!

H

44 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.

How many models of car have you tried it on, out of interest? It depends on the model of car whether you can drive with the clutch plate backwards or not. Can we nip the 'You can't do that!" posts in the bud early on please, two out of two is plenty, the clutch was taken out of the car and it was backwards.

http://grammarist.com/spelling/disc-disk/

I have never seen a vertically symmetrical Clutch Disc on a car, motorbike maybe, but not a car. The damper plate and springs would make it almost exclusively vertically asymmetrical.

The OP should stop referring to the 'plate' as they almost certainly mean 'Disc'. To install a Clutch Pressure Plate backwards would need a welding plant and a very creative engineer.

H

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.

I asked a garage to install a 3 piece clutch kit that I provided. When I picked the car up from the garage, they were sheepish and wouldn't look me in the eye. Two problems: it apparantly also needed a cheap Guide Sleeve for Clutch Release Bearing, which I didn't provide, and which has caused the bearing to now break, and, the new mechanic said the clutch DISC was on backwards when he took it off, and was grinding down against the flywheel, and is to coin a phrase, f***ed. The original garage mentioned on the reciept the bearing squeeks, and the new mechanic said that is because the clutch bearing sleeve wasn't replaced. Could I make a small claim for new clutch and hotel/travel expenses?

I may be wrong, doesn't happen very often, but you never know. If the clutch DISC was catching the flywheel enough to cause a 'grind' then the noise would be horrendous, and it would be virtually undrivable due to many issues.

I would agree with the assertion that a worn release bearing guide could cause premature failing of the release bearing.

Who do you trust more? Shawn (Geddit) Motors or the new guy.

H

GARUDALINUX.ORG

The mechanic said he took it off backwards, and it didn't damage the flywheel because that is hardened steel. I have the clutch for evidence, there is nothing on the other side that could cause the damage to the clutch springs

Normally the DISC is marked flywheel side but the spigot tube often means it will only fit one way anyway. So on a Volvo from my experience with them I don't think it's actually possible to fit it incorrectly.

i think i point to note that may have been overlooked is Pencil asked a garage to fit part's he supplied, I would highly suggest any claim would be ruled out, the garage would try and blame you for supplying incorrect part's (at a guess) please don't quote me on this I may be wrong also !

I asked the new mechanic if he was serious and he said it was backwards when he took it off and that's the only possible reason for the grinding down on and around the springs, which are also loose, as nothing contacts that area if the plate was in the right way round. I gave the previous garage a 3 piece clutch kit, but the new mechanic said they should have replaced the other component (pictured) and that's what caused the bearing to explode, which caused the new breakdown. All in all, a bad service.

Before I make a claim, is it possible, and should I ask for a simple refund (£200), or cost of the new clutch job plus travel/hotel expenses as well from breakdown (£500)?

IMG_8514.jpg

IMG_8515.jpg

IMG_8516.jpg

IMG_8520.jpg

IMG_8525.jpg

IMG_8526.jpg

IMG_8527.jpg

There will also be corresponding damage to the flywheel. This brings us back to a point made early in the thread, how could you drive with the obvious noise the contact between the two would have made.

There really would have been a WTF expression and immediate return to the fitter.

I apologise if you are disappointed pencil, I think it was that those that knew about clutches didn't believe it would have been fitted the wrong way around, me included.

Although it would probably go into place, it would never have worked as it was designed.

Your pictures do prove a point though about why you left it so long when you must have been aware of something wrong and the damage backs that up.

Now you have the pictures, your recourse is to get onto the garage that fitted it that way and send a copy of the bill you have now received to rectify it.

Are you sure there is no damage to the flywheel ??

We can take you through the process of reclaiming the parts and labour cost and further should they deny liability.

Don't make any contact with them by phone unless you can record the call and keep that recording safe. It is much better to correspond by letter.

Edited by Conniff

Considering the damage on the clutch plate as shown in the photos, I am struggling to understand how they got the back plate to tighten up properly. I imagine the threads of the bolts would have been under tremendous strain and some would have stripped.

If it were mine, I would demand removal of the flywheel for thorough checking and also the spigot bearing.

Was the pressure plate not twisted in some way??

Still can't understand how it was drivable at all.

Edited by scaniaman
dipit

What vehicle is it and does it have a dual mass flywheel. I don't know much about clutches but when a friend asked me to ask my trusty local machanic for a price to fit a new clutch on a Nissan Juke, he told me that on that particular motor he will only gurantee the clutch if a new DMF is also fitted.