Unexpected gas bill (EON)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2978 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can anyone help me out with some sanity checking?

Based on meter readings, from 9th December to 4th March (86 days) I've used 8,601kWh of gas.

100kWh a day seems an awful lot to me given that the house hasn't felt particularly warm (albeit not particularly cold most of the time either).

Since the last bill, I've managed to put 943kWh through the meter. 85kWh per day again seems quite high to me.

It's a two bed mid terrace (circa 1910) that came in as a 'D' on the last EPC. Do these numbers seem reasonable to anyone? I never used anywhere near this much gas in the last house I was in (2-bed semi, albeit more modern).

Do you have neighbours in similar properties ? If you are on speaking terms with them, perhaps you could ask them what their usage is coming in at see if you can get an average from perhaps a couple of them.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

3.5kwh per hour is rather large

is your boiler /CH on 24/7 and thermo controlled

mines 1820's 10 rooms over many floors

uses 11756 over 93 days = 5.2kwh per hour

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

3.5kwh per hour is rather large

is your boiler /CH on 24/7 and thermo controlled

If i am right that is about £11 in gas a day based on the usage. That must be an old inefficient boiler that is running for long periods, with baths rather than showers.

If the boiler is not that old and has thermostatic control set at a reasonable temperature, then i would do a check on the meter regularly over a period to see whether it is working correctly. If there is a fault, then your energy company will replace. I had a meter changed and it did not take very long.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

my 18" walled Caithness stone home never goes above 21%

I have 3 periods of 2hrs out of 24 whereby its 'off'

the rest of the time the thermo is set to 20% to control temp

if I don't operate it that way

it costs me twice as much to reheat the ruddy place.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Checked over the last few hours with nothing on but the pilot light

and it's coming out at around 3kWh/day.

At least that suggests there's no dodgy leaks or suchlike.

I'll monitor it over the next few days and see how realistic the numbers are.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

I should add that I'm not entirely convinced the boiler is in a good state of maintenance.

It doesn't appear to be too old, but we've had no hot water in the kitchen since late November

(around the time the gas use started rocketing), although we get it in other rooms OK.

Landlord hasn't been interested despite constant calls

(got as far as a plumber coming out and suggesting the tap just needs a washer, but never returned).

a pilot light does not consume anything let alone 3kwh

if you've got it all off the meter should not be progressing anywhere in an hour?

and they

Constant pilot lights on the older CH boilers can use up to 40p per day £36 per quarter......hence the reason new boilers now fire the pilot light on ignition and only when in use.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

If the boiler's in a bad state of repair, becoming old or inefficient you may wish to research getting a new one fitted; our usage reduced significantly when we had a new boiler and digital thermostat fitted.

Depending on your circumstances you may qualify for further assistance - https://www.eonenergy.com/for-your-home/help-and-support/energy-fund

https://www.eonenergy.com/for-your-home/saving-energy/need-little-extra-help/energy-company-obligation

• 2 weeks later...
Can anyone help me out with some sanity checking?

Based on meter readings, from 9th December to 4th March (86 days) I've used 8,601kWh of gas.

100kWh a day seems an awful lot to me given that the house hasn't felt particularly warm (albeit not particularly cold most of the time either).

Since the last bill, I've managed to put 943kWh through the meter. 85kWh per day again seems quite high to me.

It's a two bed mid terrace (circa 1910) that came in as a 'D' on the last EPC. Do these numbers seem reasonable to anyone? I never used anywhere near this much gas in the last house I was in (2-bed semi, albeit more modern).

It was - it's now set to be on for a few hours a day (temperature controlled still).

Checked over the last few hours with nothing on but the pilot light

and it's coming out at around 3kWh/day.

At least that suggests there's no dodgy leaks or suchlike.

I'll monitor it over the next few days and see how realistic the numbers are.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

I should add that I'm not entirely convinced the boiler is in a good state of maintenance.

It doesn't appear to be too old, but we've had no hot water in the kitchen since late November

(around the time the gas use started rocketing), although we get it in other rooms OK.

Landlord hasn't been interested despite constant calls

(got as far as a plumber coming out and suggesting the tap just needs a washer, but never returned).

Hello Aterlatus

Usage can vary quite a lot between properties as it depends on the specific set up at individual locations. Things like levels of insulation, age and design of buildings, heating, appliances, lifestyles etc all have an impact on how much is used. You mention at one time the heating was on 24/7. This will certainly have had an impact. You also say the boiler might not be up to scratch. Again, this could influence the amount of gas used.

Nottslad has given some excellent advice. Thanks nottslad. In particular, the link to the Energy Company Obligation (ECO) might help with your ongoing gas usage. The ECO is a Government led scheme that aims to cut usage by providing help with energy saving stuff like loft and cavity wall insulation. If your boiler is broken, we may be able to help with this through the scheme too. Certainly worth checking out.

It might also help you understand the ongoing gas usage by taking regular meter readings. Try taking them once a day for a week and then weekly for a month. Sere if there are any particular spikes. Could possibly help find a faulty appliance that might be using more than expected.

When you've a minute, have a look at the 'Saving Energy' pages on our website. Some useful tips to help you save money by saving energy, both with the gas and electricity.

Hope this is of interest Aterlatus.

Malc

I had an A rated boiler fitted and it reduced my bill by about 70%. With old boilers set with timers they come on for a long time,whereas my new set up has a radio controlled thermostat and thermostats on radiators in main rooms. New boilers heat up much quicker and if you set them up well they will maintain temperature quite efficiently.

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

If the boiler's in a bad state of repair, becoming old or inefficient you may wish to research getting a new one fitted; our usage reduced significantly when we had a new boiler and digital thermostat fitted.

Depending on your circumstances you may qualify for further assistance - https://www.eonenergy.com/for-your-home/help-and-support/energy-fund

https://www.eonenergy.com/for-your-home/saving-energy/need-little-extra-help/energy-company-obligation

Excellent advice nottslad. Thanks for posting this, particularly the links. Might well be able to help the OP.

Malc

Hello Aterlatus

Usage can vary quite a lot between properties as it depends on the specific set up at individual locations. Things like levels of insulation, age and design of buildings, heating, appliances, lifestyles etc all have an impact on how much is used. You mention at one time the heating was on 24/7. This will certainly have had an impact. You also say the boiler might not be up to scratch. Again, this could influence the amount of gas used.

Nottslad has given some excellent advice. Thanks nottslad. In particular, the link to the Energy Company Obligation (ECO) might help with your ongoing gas usage. The ECO is a Government led scheme that aims to cut usage by providing help with energy saving stuff like loft and cavity wall insulation. If your boiler is broken, we may be able to help with this through the scheme too. Certainly worth checking out.

It might also help you understand the ongoing gas usage by taking regular meter readings. Try taking them once a day for a week and then weekly for a month. Sere if there are any particular spikes. Could possibly help find a faulty appliance that might be using more than expected.

When you've a minute, have a look at the 'Saving Energy' pages on our website. Some useful tips to help you save money by saving energy, both with the gas and electricity.

Hope this is of interest Aterlatus.

Malc

Just to add to what I posted a few minutes ago Aterlatus. Talk to us if you're struggling with the unexpected bill you mention. We'll be happy to look at setting up a payment arrangement to spread the bill over a more manageable period. Also, if you set up a Monthly Direct Debit, you'll have lower daily standing charges.

Sorry, meant to mention this before.

Malc