Returning a faulty item eBay

andie_303
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2995 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I purchased on eBay from a seller who said the item location was Portsmouth England. I paid (it was a Buy it Now) and only when I got the tracking number so I see the item was actually shipped from Germany.

It's arrived and to be honest doesn't look particularly well made there are a couple of minor defects that look like they were done in manfacture, the casing hasn't been closed together properly so there's a little exposed workings and wires, but the plug is also a continental European plug.

I wanted to return the item as its not up to the commercial quality I wanted and whilst I know domestically a 220v appliance can be used in not sure it would go through PAT testing (if it had the right plug).

I just feel a bit deceived that I thought I was getting an item made for the UK market and I haven't - so I politely asked to return it, the seller has said I have to pay the courier fees back and having checked couriers to Germany for the 2 boxes it came in I'm looking at almost £100, they say I can have a £5 refund and keep the item though!!

Now I know if the item had been in the UK like they said I could use DSR for them to foot the courier costs back but it now turns out they aren't, can I do anything or do I just have to chalk it up to experience and shell out the courier charge?

Have you escalated the problem to ebay as its location was misrepresented, leading to you think return wouldnt be an issue.

What did the advert say about returns policy?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

GEMHL Settled

Barclaycard Settled

A & L SETTLED IN FULL :lol:

Spml Reluctantly withdrawn

Blackhorse pre 31-7-06 Demand removal sent 23 8 06. ICO ordered removal jan 2007....REMOVED:lol:

I used the "request a return" option as in all honesty didn't think it would be an issue now it won't let me open a case as there's a return pending. The seller has until 11th but they've already messaged with the you need to pay or accept our £5 offer so I guess they're going to leave it in limbo until next week. I can't end the return request as it says if I end it I can't escalate it.

Stupidly I only saw it said returns accepted, no looking closely and scrolling all the way to the bottom of their reruns policy it says buyer to pay return postage costs! grr

How about a Paypal chargeback? But be careful as you may need to return it tracked - if the person your purchased it through is UK based send it there if you have the address by Second Class Recorded Delivery. You could simply send it to (name of seller), (name of street found in Google maps), Portsmouth, (postcode found on the GPO web site) just to get a return tracking number if you do not have the full UK address.

Try customer services via phone or the chat service.

0800 3586551

0208 6053000 opt 2

i havent verified any of these numbers, they are from the web

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

GEMHL Settled

Barclaycard Settled

Blackhorse pre 31-7-06 Demand removal sent 23 8 06. ICO ordered removal jan 2007....REMOVED:lol:

How about a Paypal chargeback? But be careful as you may need to return it tracked - if the person your purchased it through is UK based send it there if you have the address by Second Class Recorded Delivery. You could simply send it to (name of seller), (name of street found in Google maps), Portsmouth, (postcode found on the GPO web site) just to get a return tracking number if you do not have the full UK address.

That's the big issue, they said UK based but shipped from Germany the return address they've provided is Germany and the boxes weigh about 45kg each!

I paid through PayPal via my credit card so I guess a s.75 is possible but I guess that would still involve a return costing £100 - or am I able to hold them liable for that also?

Annoying why eBay sellers can't just be honest about their location.

lots of the chinese based sellers have uk towns as their addresses, ebay needs to clean its act up a bit

GEMHL Settled

Barclaycard Settled

That's the big issue, they said UK based but shipped from Germany the return address they've provided is Germany and the boxes weigh about 45kg each!

I paid through PayPal via my credit card so I guess a s.75 is possible but I guess that would still involve a return costing £100 - or am I able to hold them liable for that also?

Annoying why eBay sellers can't just be honest about their location.

If your payment was funded by a credit card then the chargeback should be made via the card company. In this case you will not have to prove the item has been returned. But you may find your Paypal account is effectively useless because that will simply go into a negative balance (unless Paypal can get the money back from the seller). Paypal do not like credit card chargebacks as they often get left holding the baby so to speak.

However, there is nothing to stop you opening another Paypal account with a different bank account, email address and slightly different physical address.