style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2945 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The very recent decision (9th November 2015) from the Local Government Ombudsman regarding Liverpool City Council and the very old 'community charge' is really worrying.

In this particular case, the 'community charge' is from 1993 and even though Liverpool cannot locate a copy of the Liability Order the view of the Ombudsman is that:

"The Council’s records show the money is owed and without any evidence to the contrary I cannot question the validity of these records".

http://www.lgo.org.uk/decisions/benefits-and-tax/other/14-019-796

In these cases, i think they should get their local MP involved with a view to a referral to the Parliamentary Ombudsman. The angle of approach may be to question the rules DCLG applies to local authorities in regard to accounting standards and the late chasing of council tax and business rates. Reference can be made to the LGO decision not to question the records of local government.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• 2 months later...

Well some good news and bad news. Good news, the council have agreed to take the debt back from the Bailliffs ( who for a change were really helpful and considerate ). They however are not prepared to budge that I owe the money however have accepted a £25 a week payment agreement and a reduction from £7100 to £3300.

Still a ridiculous situation but I suppose given that the burden of proof does not count for anything these days, and I had little or no chance of getting away from this, then I suppose its the best I can hope for.

I am disappointed to hear that the council will not budge in their view that you owe the money, but nonetheless, am pleased to hear that they have reduced your liability by 50%.

Excellent news as well that the account is back with the council and bailiff enforcement has ceased.

Can I also say a big 'thank you' for updating this thread.