Broadband firms face new advert rules in the UK

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3043 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The UK's broadband providers have been told to expect tougher rules on how they advertise their services.

The UK's Advertising Standards Authority said it was considering the step to ensure people "aren't misled by pricing claims".

It follows a study that indicated most users could not correctly calculate bills based on the information given in a selection of broadband ads.

The ASA said it would make a final decision before June.

A lobby group representing the broadband industry has suggested more research is needed before any changes are imposed.

But one of the internet service providers has already said it supports reform.

"It's obvious that a single headline price is much clearer and better for customers, and we're actually already doing it on a pilot project up in York," said a spokesman for TalkTalk.

"But until the whole market moves to single prices, any company that advertises its products like this will struggle to compete with what look like better deals from other providers."

The announcement comes a month after the charity Citizens Advice called on the ASA to review its code of practice because it said consumers were being misled by attractive-sounding broadband offers.

Full Article

I hate the "£10 a month broadband for 12 months!", then to see "Not including £14.99 BT line rental" in the small print.

And so do I. This is right on par with the airlines and their flights for 50p then a hundred other add ons in the small print. That's been stopped, now it's time to do the same with the bb suppliers.

It's all done on purpose, it's just a con. Why can't companies be fair and honest for once instead of deliberately laying out there ads to deceive people.

Why do you need to have to have a phone included in the price when the likes of Virgin now offer Internet without it...

Most companies still deliver internet via your Phone Line, hence the requirement for a phone line to be installed which incurs Line Rental.

Virgin can only offer Internet without because their internet is delivered via a dedicated Cable rather than via your phone line.

Virgin can only offer Internet without because their internet is delivered via a dedicated Cable rather than via your phone line.

I am in a Virgin cabled area and can get broadband only for £30.25. Alternatively, I can take their broadband and phone package for a mere £5.99 per month for the first 12 months and then £19 per month thereafter (18 month contract). In the small print, I am also required to take a Virgin phone line for £17.99, so that makes it £23.98 for the first 12 months and £36.99 thereafter.

So whilst I could have a super fast 50Mbps service without a phone, it works out more expensive to do so. In addition, Virgin will offer several sweeteners when you come to leave, so their advertised price isn't always what you pay.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

I am in a Virgin cabled area and can get broadband only for £30.25. Alternatively, I can take their broadband and phone package for a mere £5.99 per month for the first 12 months and then £19 per month thereafter (18 month contract). In the small print, I am also required to take a Virgin phone line for £17.99, so that makes it £23.98 for the first 12 months and £36.99 thereafter.

So whilst I could have a super fast 50Mbps service without a phone, it works out more expensive to do so. In addition, Virgin will offer several sweeteners when you come to leave, so their advertised price isn't always what you pay.

Yeah it's weird that they make it cheaper to have a phone line and internet line than to just have the internet line. I've never understood why they do it, nor ever gotten an answer from Virgin Media themselves on why that's the case. Whether you have the phone line or not, the internet line that goes in is exactly the same.