Stopped claiming jsa due to inheritance, advice please ni and pension

asgoodwin2003
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3059 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone,

I recently stopped my claim for JSA, I am still unemployed and my wife works part time.

However, my father died in July last year and between my brother and I we received inheritance from the house and savings etc.

This money took my savings over the threshold for benefits. So, I stopped my claim as I wasn't receiving any money

and it hardly seemed worth going through the Jobcentre motions to claim nothing!

Now, my question is, (and I can't seem to get through on any number for the NI or Pensions that the JCP gave me)

would my leaving the JSA stop or change my pension?

I worked for 20 years paying Income based contributions and then signed on for the last 6 or 7.

The JCP advisor said if there was a problem I could sign on for "credit only" JSA?

Would I need to do this, or can I just pay NI contributions myself while I'm looking for work?

Any advice and help appreciated, thanks in advance!

Andy

I will try and find someone who can answer this one for you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

What you should do about this really depends on how close you are to state pension age. If you will reach pension age after 6th April 2016, you will need a total of 35 "qualifying years" to receieve a full state pension. A "qualifying year" is one in which you either paid NI or were credited with it because of being on an income replacement benefit (such as JSA).

So, if you have close to 35 years paid or credited already and it will be a while until you are due to collect your pension this may not be a particular problem for you. If, however, you're short of qualifying years and getting close to the time when you'll be claiming your pension, then you may wish to consider either a "credits only" claim for JSA, or making voluntary NI payments to HMRC.

• Haha 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

BCOBS