Housing Benefit and student daughter

sirbob10
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3075 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Can someone point me in the right direction.

We live in County Durham with our 3 daughters aged 16, 13 and 11.

Can someone tell me what happens if my eldest who is currently at college goes on to university. Although it's over a year away I was wondering what happens if she goes off to uni but comes home during the holiday holidays. Am I allowed to still keep her bedroom and still receive housing benefit for a 3 bed house.

I have tried on the Durham council website but it mentions nothing of keeping a room for s student to come home to.

Many thanks

My understanding is that provided your daughter doesn't get housing benefit at her student address (most unlikely to happen) and provided you don't sublet her room, and provided she does return home regularly she will be counted as if still living there.

Best option is probably to speak to your council - if they say no, you'll have time to contest it and in any case it's better than potentially having an overpayment.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.