Insurance seized car issue

labrat
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3081 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

not sure i will like the advice on this one but got to ask as its brother in law

he recently brought a car on finance that broke down in first week - no issue garage repairing it

unfortunately he has just had the curtesy car seized by the police

basically from the details i have got so far

he allowed a friend to drive it

police followed it home because it matched the description as a reported stolen

it wasn't stolen however they then checked the details of driver

he was not according to data base insured for the car

hence car seized

he MAY have insurance for other cars third party - this is unsure as he had two insurance policies on different cars

police only checked his taxi insurance at this point B-I-L is unsure if friends other policy is in force as friends other car seized due to fatal accident so friend may have cancelled

B-I-L has been told even if he has third party insurance it wont be valid as he did not have permission from owner of car simply permission from authorized user

B-I-L has been warned that he faces court and fine at this point im not sure what for as he was not driver

Curtsy car has been impounded with £150 basic fee + £20 a day

B-I-L is going to garage tomorrow to get note showing he is insured so he can get it from impound, is it worth seeing if can get note stating any driver was insured as garage owner is acquaintance of B-I-L and if so will it make any difference

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Get insurance details from garage and advise them of what has happened. They will want to get the car back anyway, as the garage as owners of the car will be responsible for car impound fees and daily storage. The garage staff should have made it very clear, whether the coutesy car was insured and who could drive it.

Depends of what the paperwork re courtesy car and the insurance as to how it affects your BIL and the driver. Pointless speculating, as the Police will want to study the details and liase with the garage.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Garage has said will sort it

BIL has given fees for impound to garage - waiting to see further

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek: