PRA Group (Aktiv?) chasingHSBC statute barred debt

mascam
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3113 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Yesterday I began receiving phone calls from a 0203 number,

which turns out to be PRA Group Debt Collectors (Aktiv Kapitol).

They are now bombarding me with calls (even the number is on auto reject) and automated voice mails requesting I call them.

I used to have dealings with Aktiv over an old HSBC debt which passed in statute bared status over a year ago (if not longer).

I won't answer these calls and will only deal with them in writing (if I have to contact them at all) but other than that what can I do?

I am unable to pay off the debt (and it is unlikely I ever will be able to) and to be honest I thought I had put the days of being chased by DCA's behind me.

Also, why start bothering me now when I have had no contact with Aktiv for years (save for an account statement last year)?

The debt is no longer on any credit file (I check all of them religiously) although I am worried they will try to [problem] me in some way.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

If all you are getting is calls, and if the number is set to auto-reject then I would do nothing unless and until you receive something in writing. You can then send the SB letter.

If you are finding the calls too much and provided that you are certain that the debt is SB, then send a letter stating that any alleged debt is SB and that you consider that the constant and continuing calls amount to harassment and that you will report them to the appropriate authorities.

What you don't want to do is get into a game of letter tennis.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Thank you for the reply.

I'm not planning on doing anything until something in writing turns up

although having to delete their voice mails daily may get tiresome!

It just baffles me that they seem willing to start up another hounding campaign

(I suffered badly previously resulting in suicide attempts due to the stress) despite getting nothing from me over the past 7 years plus.

I am also concerned as to where they got my phone number as it is only given to trusted individuals.

I'll see how it goes but I really don't want to go through the whole process of phone calls, letters, emails,

door step and work place visits, threats and [problem]s again.

you could look up their fax number and fax them a copy of an old newspaper or something made into a continuous loop. Do this when the offices are closed for about an hour so it just wastes their fax paper and they find a pile of garbage in the morning.

you could look up their fax number and fax them a copy of an old newspaper or something made into a continuous loop. Do this when the offices are closed for about an hour so it just wastes their fax paper and they find a pile of garbage in the morning.

LMAO i used to do this with a sheet of black paper (kills the toner) when i used to get spam faxes, it was looped and i would leave it for ages, rinse and repeat.

Eventually the spam faxes stopped.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke to PRA today (more accident than design) - as I though they were chasing up an old HSBC debt.

I let the agent give me her spiel before replying 'I believe that debt to be statute barred'.

She went quiet and asked me to hold whilst she checked their records.

Upon coming back to the call she confirmed that to be the case and that she would up date records and remove my details from their chase list.

If this is the case then I am pleasantly surprised - I was expecting a long drawn out process.

However, we shall see

- at least my credit file is clean and I know I have access to my bank details for past 8 years

so will easily be able to disprove and claim to payment over that time.

Edited by mascam
typo

You NEED to get confirmation of that in writing, as they will wait a month and continue chasing, or they will sell it on.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I spoke to PRA today (more accident than design) - as I though they were chasing up an old HSBC debt.

I let the agent give me her spiel before replying 'I believe that debt to be statute barred'.

She went quiet and asked me to hold whilst she checked their records.

Upon coming back to the call she confirmed that to be the case and that she would up date records and remove my details from their chase list.

If this is the case then I am pleasantly surprised - I was expecting a long drawn out process.

However, we shall see

- at least my credit file is clean and I know I have access to my bank details for past 8 years

so will easily be able to disprove and claim to payment over that time.

ruddy fleecers trying to spoof people

well done

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

You NEED to get confirmation of that in writing, as they will wait a month and continue chasing, or they will sell it on.

That is at the back of my mind but Aktiv/PRA have held the debt for 8 years now.

I can't see anyone really wanting to buy it given the length of time and its current status

but as ever in this industry I've learnt to never say never.

Aktiv/PRA were fully aware the debt was statute barred and just (as dx100uk suggests) spoofing.

The last contact I had from them prior to this was 3 years ago (just before the 6 years was up) when they were offering a 90% write off.

If they continue to contact me I'll send out the statute barred template as per this site.