narrowboat C.T. issues could I have some help please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3208 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi ,

I live on a narrowboat in a marina as many people do ,

First of all I have to say this is NOT about getting out of paying CT

,the people who live on their boats have just been hit by the council for CT ,

£1000 per year band A , per boat with a wooden jetty two feet wide ,

distance between me and next doors boat ,

we pay refuse removal to the marina etc etc ,,

all the boats are not the same size so the CT valuation is unfair in that respect ,

the fairest way in this respect is community CT spread between the boats

,the council have the ability to impose this as they have done it elsewhere

but in this case have decided to bully us into the above figure per boat

,can anybody help please or the name of a solicitor who can deal with this .

just to clarify a point ,

this is a non residential marina which the council will turn a blind eye if they get the council tax in one form or another

,if they don't my belief is the will push for the marina to apply for residential ,

then the rents go up

,so this is a damage limitation exercise

Hi

CAG don't usually recommend any solicitor so that won't help you.

I don't know if you have seen this.

http://manuals.voa.gov.uk/corporate/publications/Manuals/CouncilTaxManual/council_tax_man_pn/t-ct-man-pn7-appd.html

Yours is an unusual issue so I doubt there will be many 'experts' out there

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Hi

CAG don't usually recommend any solicitor so that won't help you.

I don't know if you have seen this.

http://manuals.voa.gov.uk/corporate/publications/Manuals/CouncilTaxManual/council_tax_man_pn/t-ct-man-pn7-appd.html

Yours is an unusual issue so I doubt there will be many 'experts' out there

sorry I didn't realise it was against the rules to ask if anyone knew a solicitor who could deal with this ..yes I was aware of the link you sent [thank you]

sorry I didn't realise it was against the rules to ask if anyone knew a solicitor who could deal with this ..yes I was aware of the link you sent [thank you]

Most internet forums don't like recommendations re Solicitors, because you would get people touting for business or advising of someone who was useless with a particular problem.

You would be better posting to a narrowboat owners forum, as i doubt you are in a unique situation. There will be hundreds of people around the country, faced with paying the minimum CT level where they are moored. The councils argument is that if you are in a permanent mooring, you will be using services paid for by the council. This will be the areas infrastructure that the council tax pays towards.

Not sure you need a Solicitor as they charge £500 for just looking into it. You would better writing to the councils head of revenues asking for details of legislation that allows them to levy council tax on the owner of a narrowboat in a non residential area. Get them to prove they can charge the CT and if necessary lodge a complaint with the local government ombudsman.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The narrowboat itself isn't the issue, it's the mooring that's the issued. If the boat has a mooring then the council tax charge is generally due by the people occupying the boat as they are regarded as the occupiers of the mooring for council tax purposes.

The general guidance on valuation is here - http://manuals.voa.gov.uk/corporate/publications/Manuals/CouncilTaxManual/council_tax_man_pn/t-ct-man-pn7-appd.html

Narrowboat living has become popular, with some now travelling all year round, without permanent moorings. Not sure how that works, as boats need maintenance and people need services. Probably why councils are looking at all moorings and seeing who is using them.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The narrowboat itself isn't the issue, it's the mooring that's the issued. If the boat has a mooring then the council tax charge is generally due by the people occupying the boat as they are regarded as the occupiers of the mooring for council tax purposes.

The general guidance on valuation is here - http://manuals.voa.gov.uk/corporate/publications/Manuals/CouncilTaxManual/council_tax_man_pn/t-ct-man-pn7-appd.html

fair comment ,but two issues here ,at the moment there is nothing under band A ,so nothing to accommodate narrowboats ,second [just a thought] static caravan on a site [mains sewerage] if you don't live there for approx six weeks of the year ,no CT to pay , yet a narrowboat can move at will just like a motorhome ,,