Mortgage company are trying to get possession of my home by the court.

Fielder
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3090 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Dodgeball

Would you suggest a solicitor or an accountant?

Solicitor accustomed to working with credit. Do you have the agreement ?

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

I should commence challenging the default charges as said previously, you can also question their entitlement to charge contractual interest on them and ask where the term in the agreement is that permits them to so do. ( I suspect that even if there was one ir would be unfair)

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Ok, sounds like a good way forward. I hope there is a letter template for challenging the contractual interest.

I'm not very good at formal letters.

Thank you for your advice

No#i don't think it will be in there, BCOB generally deal with banking practice, but if someone could indicate the section, I would certainly be interested in seeing it, as I presume would the OP.

If the charges are unfair that is a different mater of course

DB, was this in response to my post.. I didn't say BCOBS, but MCOBS :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

DB, was this in response to my post.. I didn't say BCOBS, but MCOBS :)

So you did, should have gone to sspecsavers. sorry

Even so I don#t see anything which claims to restrict enforcement when default charges are included within the default sum on the claim.

Is this a first charge mortgage ?

Yes, if you mean the one and only mortgage.

Could you please explain what you mean by 'claims to restrict enforcement'

Thanks

This should be regulated mortgage and the MCOB should apply, there is quite a bit of stuff in there about charges. It was inferred earlier that a claim cannot succeed if the default charges are the only reason that it is being made. I wanted to see proof of this.

I believe that the default charges should be challenged however for not being lawful in the first place.

I know under the Law of Property Act 1925 a lender cannot bring a repossession action unless it's three months in arrears - or the interest is two months in arrears. Whether or not this will be useful here I guess could remain to be seen; here's the section:

103 Regulation of exercise of power of sale.E+W.A mortgagee shall not exercise the power of sale conferred by this Act unless and until—

(i)Notice requiring payment of the mortgage money has been served on the mortgagor or one of two or more mortgagors, and default has been made in payment of the mortgage money, or of part thereof, for three months after such service; or .

(ii)Some interest under the mortgage is in arrear and unpaid for two months after becoming due; or .

(iii)There has been a breach of some provision contained in the mortgage deed or in this Act, or in an enactment replaced by this Act, and on the part of the mortgagor, or of some person concurring in making the mortgage, to be observed or performed, other than and besides a covenant for payment of the mortgage money or interest thereon.

I don't think this applies in my case as they have a suspended repossession order and I have failed to keep to that.

Only for last month and this month, but they are going ahead with it.

Hi, are you able to offer an amount towards the arrears in addition to the normal monthly payment going forward? that is what you will have to do if you have to go to court to get an eviction stopped. The charges are a separate matter to the arrears, the judge will primarily concerned with whether you can afford the monthly payment and something towards the arrears. As it is an interest only mortgage your monthly payment is based on the amount outstanding - if you pay off the arrears the outstanding amount of your mortgage will reduce.

Regarding the charges, you need to write to the lender asking for the charges to be removed from your account. As they are added to the outstanding balance, any charges they remove will not reduce your arrears, only the amount of the outstanding mortgage. If the lender refuses to remove charges you can escalate your case to the FOS.

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

I used the Financial Ombudsman Service to get a refund for unfair charges from Blemain.

I calculated charges and added on interest came to about £7,000. Fos got me £2,000.

I excepted, reluctantly, as I thought they were correct and I was wrong.

Now I'm not so sure.

Any chance I can get more of the charges returned? Or have I signed them away?

I am paying mortgage amount and an amount off the arrears. But, I've not paid last month and this yet.

The problem is the charges have increased the mortgage amount and consequently the monthly amount, because the interest is calculated on the total.

I am confused and not sure what to present at the court.

OK, have they sent you a letter stating your monthly payment has changed? has it changed since the last time you paid?

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Just reading through the MCOB and Ii seems to me that you are correct, they should not be adding your charges to the principle sum.

13.5.1 Statement of charges

Where an account is in arrears, and the payment shortfall or mortgage shortfall debt is attracting charges, a firm must provide the customer with a regular written statement (at least once a quarter) of the payments due, the actual payment shortfall, the charges incurred and the debt.

Have you received an itemized statement like the one prescribed above. The charges would have to include any interest generated by them.

In addition to this the fact that the charge itself would increase the amount due when the principle is paid at the end of its term, and would surely be an unfair penalty.

I think that the charges should accrue in a different pot than the principle as they do in CCA agreements, reading between the lines.

The charges are not listed separately.

Also, the increased figure of the mortgage, by which they are calculating the monthly payment, which includes the charges and the arrears. Is different and much more than the sum of mortgage plus missed payments plus charges.

And no, the payment has been the same since January 2013.

My account has not been attracting charges because I have, until recently, been making regular payments and something towards the arrears.

Edited by Fielder

The main thing is to protect the roof over your head first - then tackle the charges. When can you make the next payment?

The main thing is to protect the roof over your head first - then tackle the charges. When can you make the next payment?

I plan to pay this months today and what's outstanding from last month on Thursday. So I'll be upto date then. With recent underpayments anyway.

if you've breached the payment arrangement you may wish to consider applying to re-suspend the SPO, you can do this by completing a form called n244, the fee *should* be £40 (some courts still try and charge £80)

A demand of a breakdown of the arrears would be useful in finding just how much is owed on the contract and how much is due to charges and interest on charges.

Th OP is entitled under the MCOB to receive this information and I think this would be useful information to present to the court should there be a hearing.

Also I would request an explanation of how the interest on these charges is calculated and the effect it has on the principle.

Today I have received the eviction date. It is in twenty days.

If I can get the money I would like to pay all the arrears before then. I cannot pay the total amount they are asking for and anyway that figure includes charges.

How do I total the amount of arrears, when the charges and the interest on the charges has been added?

I can calculate my underpayments, excluding charges. Would this figure be the one to use?

The charges can be dealt with later on. I just want to pay what I have to, to stop the eviction.

I do have a breakdown of the charges and can calculate them separately from the interest on the principle sum.

If I calculate the amount the monthly payment on the amount of the principal at the interest rate charged at the time.

Excluding the charges and the interest on the charges. Would that be acceptable?

I can write to mortgage company and explain what I have done.

I think you really need professional advice with this in order to get the re-possession stopped.