Mortgage company are trying to get possession of my home by the court.

Fielder
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3075 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a problem with my mortgagelink3.gif company.

I have been through all my statements and all the charges

and missed interestlink3.gif payments (interest only mortgagelink3.gif) have been added to initial mortgage and charged interest on.

Mortgage company are trying to get possession of my home by the court.

I have calculated the amount I owe them for missed mortgage payments,

the rest they want to take from me is for charges (mostly illegal)

I have some questions;

Firstly, I read somewhere on this site that I cannot be repossessed for charges. I can't find it now, but, is this true?

I cannot find stated in my t&c's that arrears will be effectively capitalised along with the charges (for arrears) and charged at the full interest, can they do this lawfully?

I can just about manage to clear the arrears by the end of June, but the charges and interest are enormous.

The amount increases my mortgage by £11,000 and I am being charged interest on this.

I really need some reassurance as the date is very close.

Please can anyone help with some answers?????

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is true that an account should not be defaulted if the default sum consists of charges without which the account would not have been defaulted.

This applies to any regulated account.

As to capitalising it ts a commonly used process, but I am unsure of the validity in your case, this is not in my field of expertise, so I will alert the experts on the site team for you.

Please allow time for a reply as it's Sunday.

• Confused 1

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Thread moved to Mortgages-and-Secured-Loans Forum, please continue to post here regarding this issue.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Also, when I asked them in the past to capitalise the arrears, they refused!

Someone said on here it's because they can keep charging excessive fees if the account is in arrears.

It is true that an account should not be defaulted if the default sum consists of charges without which the account would not have been defaulted.

This applies to any regulated account.

I find this interesting, is there authority ?

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

I think we need to step back a minute and get some more information.

You said this

I really need some reassurance as the date is very close.
Have you had a notice of eviction and if so what is the date?

Which company is your mortgage with?

Have you done a spreadsheet to work out what the unlawful charges are and the interest on them?

As they are unlawful penalties they can be reclaimed and certainly they should not be taken into account when presenting a figure of mortgage arrears.

Just to add.....if you have received an eviction notice then you are in the wrong forum and we will need to get you moved again.

I find this interesting, is there authority ?

Yes there is.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

MCOBS, is that what you are looking for ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

If you believe your account has had excessive charges levied then you might be able to reclaim them back.

You would need a list of the charges - do you have these by way of statements ? If not, then you should send a Subject Access Request to the mortgage company - this is a request for ALL data they have in respect of your financial relationship with them. It will cost you £10.00 and there is a draft letter in the CAG library.

Once you have all the statements then you should complete one of the CAG spread sheets and send the attached letter asking for the charges back.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44668[/ATTACH]

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Information Commissioners Office Technical Guidance on Defaults.

No#i don't think it will be in there, BCOB generally deal with banking practice, but if someone could indicate the section, I would certainly be interested in seeing it, as I presume would the OP.

If the charges are unfair that is a different mater of course

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

I will do that, thanks citizenB.

I do have the statements and have listed the charges on a spreadsheet and will send the letter you linked me to.

But at the moment I would really like to sort out the fact that they have added the arrears to the initial mortgage amount

and so charged interest and increased the monthly payment.

Any advice?

Information Commissioners Office Technical Guidance on Defaults.

Yes Brig that would be in connection with registering a default on the credit file, not commencing enforcement for arrears on an agreement.

Interst only mortgages are a nightmare was this GE money by any chance, and can I ask when it was taken out.

No it's not GE Money, but another sub-prime lender. I don't want to mention them at the moment as I am worried that they may be watching!!

The mortgage is six years old.

Probaly wise.

Has the mortgage still got time to run before the principle repayment is due under the agreement ?

Ok

I'll move you to the home repo forum in a minute.

If/when an eviction notice turns up you will need to apply to the court for a hearing to suspend the eviction.

You might like to read this guide by Ell-enn which will give you a lot of information and the forms you will need.

When the lender presents the arrears figures to the court on which they base their case for repossession, they should not include the charges. If they do then you should bring that to the attention of the judge.

You will also need to provide evidence to the judge that you can pay the normal monthly mortgage amount plus something towards the arrears. I note that you say you could clear the arrears by the end of June. Is that still the case? If you can clear the arrears then there will be nothing on which they can argue a case for repossession.

As has been said, you should start the process of reclaiming the charges and associated interest on the account.

EDIT...Here'the guide I mentioned http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?325527-CAG-guide-Are-you-facing-eviction-or-repossession

Thanks ims,

I did think that I could repay at the end of June, but I miscalculated the amount and it's probably more than I can afford.

I can catch up with the recent missed payments, but not all the arrears. Unfortunately!

Forgot to say, what about the increased monthly payment due to adding the arrears and charges to the initial mortgage?

You will need to be able to show that moving forward you will be able to pay each normal monthly instalment plus some towards the arrears on top of that.

The guide I linked you to should mention the Norgen case whereby arrears can be settled/paid off over the remaining life of the mortgage (although most people would probably want to get the arrears brought up to date sooner).

Have a read of that guide.

On the subject of the charges, lenders will always add the charges, solicitors costs etc to the account and charge interest on them. As has been said though, they are not part of the arrears on the account and if they have been included in the arrears figure presented to the court then that is not right.

I'm going to send an SOS to Ell-en to look in on this thread for you.

I think you need to get someone to look at the contract. Adding default fees to the principle ? This would have to be mentioned in the T and Cs I would have thought as would charging contractual interest on them.