Warranty & EU

waite
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3276 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi. Hope someone can help. I have a dishwasher that I bought 14 months ago that has developed a fault. The shop I got it from says tough basically its out of warranty. I thought I heard that there was some sort of EU law that said goods like that had a minimum 2 years warranty. Anyone know the position?

Don't worry about the warranty. You are covered under the sale of goods act will stop

Which shop is it? You should name them here.

Tell us about the fault. Generally speaking you should expect the washing machine to last probably five or six years at least and maybe much longer than that.

The sale of goods act says that the washing machine must be of satisfactory quality and remain that way for a reasonable period of time.

It is down to the supplier to deal with the fault. If you have any dealings with them on the telephone then first of all read our customer services guide and implement the advice there.

Tell us more about the fault

Hi thanks for the reply. Its not filling up properly, I can hear it chugging away trying to take in water but it never gets further than that. It's a local business near me in Derby not one of the big stores. So what steps do I need to take?

Well because you have had a fair amount of use from the machine, I think that you need to get the fault ascertained.

The best thing to do would be to get one of the shops own engineers to come and have a look at it. They may well want to impose a callout charge and also a repair charge. I think that you will probably have to pay it to begin with and then go back and claimant from them.

You definitely want to get the machine back working again so take those steps to get it sorted as quickly as possible. Be very careful to keep all of your paperwork. When it comes to paying then tell them that you are paying under protest and that you consider that they are bound by the sale of goods act and that you will be claim the money back.

Let me tell you that even if you are dealing with one of the big suppliers typically Currys, you will have a load of problems well. You would expect that large companies would be extremely responsible because actually it doesn't cost them very much to take care of their customers – but believe me you would be wrong.

Get a quote for the work. If you can afford it, get the work done. Claim the money back

Well I'll try but I don't think this shop will have its own engineers, so it'll probably be a call to Indesit. Wonder what that will cost??!!

In that case - write to the shop. Invite them to name an engineer who will come out and assess the problem.

It is important to try and involve the shop as much as possible and to keep a paper trail so that you can prove that you have done so.