Agency £132 tenancy renewal Fee for credit/bank checks etc - rip off?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3276 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there.

I've been living in my flat for over a year now, and we recently renewed our tenancy. The letting agent charged us a renewal fee of £132 (£33 more than the initial agency fees). When I asked what this money was for, they claimed it was for a credit check, among other checks (including checking with the bank that I had the income I stated.).

I'm curious about their claims. For example, for the past few years, I've been hot on my credit report, and I'm well aware that they didn't carry out a credit check through any of the three main credit organisations. They also didn't check with my bank a second time, (they did the first, but I had to pay an additional £10 for this, so why I paid the fee for this, I don't know..)

Are these fees unfair, given that they didn't actually cover what they stated, or is this just something that I have to accept?

They are unfair and unless agreed, you don't have to pay!

Why did you renew your contract, it could of just gone periodic?

did you speak to LL? does he now they are charging these fees to you? they are probably charging the LL as well for a new contract administration?

I'm curious about their claims. For example, for the past few years, I've been hot on my credit report, and I'm well aware that they didn't carry out a credit check through any of the three main credit organisations. They also didn't check with my bank a second time, (they did the first, but I had to pay an additional £10 for this, so why I paid the fee for this, I don't know..)

According to Action Fraud, technically, this is advance fee fraud. However, it is not serious enough for them to take action (currently I have an open case with ActionFraud which includes this as one of its aspects - but I understand the chance of them proceeding with an investigation are zero because they are under-resourced).

If they have given you a written statement that says these costs are included, you could consider trying to reclaim the money at some point (e.g. at the eventual end of your tenancy).

Keep the paperwork including copies of your credit reference searches.

Unfortunately, a Labour government would have banned letting agents from charging tenants for fees that should be paid by landlords. :|