child tax credit serious problem help please.

anne12345
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3299 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, I hope anyone can advise me what to do please. I receive child tax credit and child benefit for my 18 year old daughter as she attends college.

I was sent a letter from child tax credits asking me to send them proof that my daughter was still attending college. All well enough I thought. ,until my daughter dropped the bomb shell that she hasn't been attending college since October 2014, she'd been leaving the house and going over to her friends 3days a week instead of college, all this without me knowing.

I had asked her to get proof for college attendance nearly 3 weeks ago and she said she was waiting for the tutor to sign the proof. So tonight I reminded her the deadline to receive proof was coming up 31st May, for her to break down and tell me the whole lie she's been doing.

I am really stressed and panacing at the minute, I can't believe she has been doing this for all this time and I haven't known . What can anyone advise me to do here! My heads mashed up!

I'm on esa due to anxiety and depression ,so also get council tax benefit as im a single parent just me and daughter at home.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can try and help .

best advice is to contact tax credits and child benefit in the morning and explain that your daughter left full time education last October

you should also notify the council, since it may affect your single person discount and council tax reduction (depending upon when your daughter turned 18)

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

As there seems to have been an overpayment since last October, you really should let each agency know of this. If it carries on after you knew then you may get more trouble than you expect.

If they ask why you have ceased your claims then you can explain this to them. Since your daughter is over 18 and chose to leave college and chose not to inform you of this that was her choice, but because there has been a change in your circumstances you are legally required to notify each of these departments without delay, because if you don't then things get on to a very sticky wicket rapidly.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.