Black Sheep wants to contest will

Mr.P
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2973 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Yes it can be a problem when you have to find assets. Now, I know that its easy to tell a black sheep to do one, but at the end of the day it might be better to keep their solicitor informed. Just tell their solicitor what you've told us. You don't want to look unreasonable if things escalate.

In my limited experience of three cases, if the black sheep carries on with his request and uses the correct solicitors /procedures, he will get a share of the estate.

The worst I witnessed was a will being contested by an estranged son who had left home at 16 and never contacted any family members.

He appeared at his late father funeral (informed by mutual friends) and then asked for his share.

Bare in mind that he never attended his mother funeral despite knowing about it.

After a long battle he got 20% of the estate.

BTW, his mother died without a will and his father clearly made a point in his will that he didn't want his son to get anything.

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but I would ask legal advice if you continue receiving solicitors ' letters.

Oh dear, its so easy to make nasty comments about so called black sheep.

Indeed, it is easy. However, I will endeavour to keep my comments factual and honest, based on first hand knowledge.

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but I would ask legal advice if you continue receiving solicitors ' letters.

I have already had some qualified advice from a reputable solicitor on the matter. They were of the opinion to ignore until such time as court papers arrived. Based on the limited amount of information I had to hand, they didn't think there was much prospect of a case being brought let alone it having any real chance of success.

My biggest concern was having to fight off a caveat, but now probate has been applied for, there is almost no chance of one being entered at this late stage.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Please be careful regarding this matter. Should this go as far as Court costs could still come out of the estate.

This would be the downside of dragging this out..

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

Please be careful regarding this matter. Should this go as far as Court costs could still come out of the estate.

To be honest, if there was going to be any legal action, I would have expected a caveat to have been entered as this is a low cost route to extracting a settlement from an estate. I also doubt that there are sufficient funds to pursue a claim beyond a few "willy waving" letters from a solicitor. Should it go any further, we have plenty of high court rulings to support our position as well as copious documentation.

Being well aware of the potential costs involved, I want to conclude matters as quickly as possible and avoid any hefty legal bills.

I've heard people say they're going to contest a Will but they don't do it, as you say "Willy Waving". If contested the costs don't always come out of the estate.

As for wanting to know the value of the estate, this is so the solicitor can work out if its worthwhile making a claim.

Can I ask, are the other beneficiaries siblings of the black sheep. Would they be wiling to give him an equal share. If he truly is a black sheep, I wouldn't be willing if it was me, but it may be less stressful to get rid of him.

Can I ask, are the other beneficiaries siblings of the black sheep. Would they be wiling to give him an equal share.

The other siblings are equal beneficiaries, and they would refuse to entertain any settlement. The only acceptable outcome is for the black sheep to crawl back under what ever rock he has been living and pay for his own costs.

Remember that recent case where a daughter successfully challenged a Will?

Ilott-v-Mitson: Widely disseminated in the daily tabloids and giving the impression that an adult child has the right to a sizable chunk of an estate. It is worth reading some of the publications from the legal quarter for a more balanced and considered opinion. The majority agree that an Inheritance Act claim is still an uphill battle with no guarantee of success.

Indeed, there has been at least one case since Ilott-v-Mitson that went the opposite way and the claim was rejected.

While I agree that anyone should be able to leave their inheritance to whomever they like, isn't it a bit unfair that a brother is left with nothing while the other siblings get the lot?

I would be pretty mad at this if I was the black sheep.

Being a parent I cannot think of any reason to exclude one of my kids from my will, unless he or she has attempted to murder me.

Just food for thoughts; one of your option could be that you accept that you have a brother, blood of your blood, and let him have his share, even if he's been a pain in the backside all of your life.

Just an option possibly without any legal ground.

While I agree that anyone should be able to leave their inheritance to whomever they like, isn't it a bit unfair that a brother is left with nothing while the other siblings get the lot?

I would be pretty mad at this if I was the black sheep.

Being a parent I cannot think of any reason to exclude one of my kids from my will, unless he or she has attempted to murder me.

Just food for thoughts; one of your option could be that you accept that you have a brother, blood of your blood, and let him have his share, even if he's been a pain in the backside all of your life.

Just an option possibly without any legal ground.

I would say it depends on the reasons as to why the relation is a "black sheep" in the first place.

A sibling who becomes a junkie, and robs their relations blind for example, or is not a junkie but steals from relations until disowned? that is someone who I suspect does not deserve a cut. Someone disowned by the family purely because they disagreed with the siblings choice of Partner, or because they come out as Gay? I'd say let the blacksheep do what they can do get a cut.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A sibling who becomes a junkie, and robs their relations blind for example, or is not a junkie but steals from relations until disowned? that is someone who I suspect does not deserve a cut.

A reasonable assessment and opinion.

That's good news.

Ilott-v-Mitson: Widely disseminated in the daily tabloids and giving the impression that an adult child has the right to a sizable chunk of an estate. It is worth reading some of the publications from the legal quarter for a more balanced and considered opinion. The majority agree that an Inheritance Act claim is still an uphill battle with no guarantee of success.

Indeed, there has been at least one case since Ilott-v-Mitson that went the opposite way and the claim was rejected.

I sense a degree of desperation: Another letter arrived demanding a copy of the will, the value of the estate and a detailed list of the assets. They also thoughtfully advised that the executor(s) would be personally liable if the estate is distributed before a judgement is passed down or the "client" withdraws his claim. As no claim has been filed, there is nothing to rule on or withdraw.

Guess they must think we are idjits that can be easily scared..... If these letters continue, I suppose we could issue an injunction for harassment and hold both the "client" and the solicitor jointly liable. Comments ?

Guess they must think we are idjits that can be easily scared..... If these letters continue, I suppose we could issue an injunction for harassment and hold both the "client" and the solicitor jointly liable. Comments ?

This is a bad idea. You can't get harassment injunctions because people are threatening to sue - if this were possible, it would be impossible for anyone to be a solicitor. Just shrug it off and continue properly distributing the estate in accordance with the will.

I do wonder if it is worth just giving them a copy of the will. They'll get it eventually anyway.

I do wonder if it is worth just giving them a copy of the will. They'll get it eventually anyway.

They could have saved themselves the cost of sending at least two letters and just lodged a standing search at the Probate Registry and obtained a copy of the will via that route. Have spoken with the P.R. and they tell me that the grants are in the post, so I would expect the will will be available to the general public shortly.

On the bright side, the more money the Black Sheep spends now on chasing documents that will be available to the public, the less he will have for any litigation at a later stage :violin:

• 6 months later...

Now that the six month window has closed for making a claim under the Inheritance Act, it is probably time for an update. Since the last letter sent off to the Black Sheep's solicitor suggesting that they read up on case law (providing them with a long list of rulings), we have received just one mildly offensive Christmas card. I'm guessing that the invoice from the solicitor really hurt :violin:

Despite inquiring as to his expectations and reasons for inclusion in the will, no answers have been received. As nothing has been forthcoming, I think we can put a line under the matter and get on with life.

This sounds like good news, Mr.P :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D