Can enforcement agents force entry? for CT/BR?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3292 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can enforcement agents force entry? For Council tax and business rate debts?

I was under the impression that was a no unless invited in, was I wrong on that?

More questions and a copy and paste from a site shortly, after receiving an answer or two ok?

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

The reason for this enquiry is because of what N. Linc's say on their site which says this

"Can enforcement agents force entry? Enforcement agents have the right to come into your property to remove goods as long as they do not use force to get in. They are not allowed to break open a door but may go in if a door is open, or if it is closed but can be opened without using force. Once they have entered a property they can force doors inside that are locked. They may force entry if you have given them permission to do so."

The reason for this question is because if an EA knocks on a door and simply asks the debtor to pay and they refuse, the EA says "I will force entry" a quick and not so smart response from the debtor may be "go on then", with that unwittingly has given the EA the permission he was looking for, to force entry in the first place to take control of goods.

Would this be ethical or could this practise be allowed to happen? As you can see from the way I have set the question out according to the response from North Lincolnshire it is this.

A second question would be this. Some households have the UPVC doors that can been "locked" from the "inside" by lifting the handle, therefore making it appear locked from the outside. With this in mind can an EA use an implement to push the handle down from the outside to gain entry to the property, as no "force" has been used? it may seem a daft question but can this be used as a tool for the EA to gain entry without "force"?

Quote taken from here http://www.nelincs.gov.uk/resident/council-tax/how-do-i-pay-my-council-tax-/enforcement-agents-collecting-council-tax-business/

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

Not unless they have previously been in the property and either the debtor or someone in authority has signed a controlled goods agreement which has defaulted.

None of the beliefs held by "Freemen on the land" have ever been supported by any judgments or verdicts in any criminal or civil court cases.

Enforcement agents do have a right to come into any property

But you have the right not to let them in

Most of the time it is all hot air with them relying on fear and intimidation

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

Not unless they have previously been in the property and either the debtor or someone in authority has signed a controlled goods agreement which has defaulted.

They would need permission from BOTH the council and the court for that to happen

I have edited my original questions with bold to draw your attention to the specific questions I have asked, especially question 1/2 see post #4

They would need permission from BOTH the council and the court for that to happen

The council yes the court no.

And in regards to your first post there is no such thing as a court order to force entry for council tax.

None of the beliefs held by "Freemen on the land" have ever been supported by any judgments or verdicts in any criminal or civil court cases.

It has always been the case that an Enforcement Agent may enter through a closed but unlocked door and is permitted to use reasonable force to see if it is indeed unlocked. He certainly could not use a lever or pipe that fitted over the handle. It is not necessarily the case that an Enforcement Agent has to have had prior entry to force his way in - see Taking Control Of Goods, Schedule 12, Part 2, Para 15, Entry under Warrant.

Under the previous rules they were also allowed to gain entry through a window or climb over fences/walls etcbut these have now been removed as they were not "normal modes of entry".

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i hate bailiffs

That was the exact answer I was actually looking for, due to the fact I have twice been outside my home at the front and the wind closed the door behind me. I.E. closed but not locked, Council took just 3 seconds to get in, a mistake I have never made since. If this tactic can be used by an EA then things may cause some considerable issues in the future.

This is just some of the thoughts I have had recently and was just considering the implications of this in practise..

PT... I understand your thoughts, but within the regs an EA can open a closed but unlocked door. In other words unless the home owner has used a key to lock the door, then the door is IMO just closed and unlocked. Can you see what I am trying to ask?

i hate bailiffs

That was the exact answer I was actually looking for, due to the fact I have twice been outside my home at the front and the wind closed the door behind me. I.E. closed but not locked, Council took just 3 seconds to get in, a mistake I have never made since. If this tactic can be used by an EA then things may cause some considerable issues in the future.

This is just some of the thoughts I have had recently and was just considering the implications of this in practise..

If it is a upvc door change it to a split spindle that way the only way to open it from the outside is with a key as it will be locked on the day latch ( not on the bolts as you need to lift handle and turn key )

If need be fit a key safe with a spare key to a outside wall until you get used to it

It is not necessarily the case that an Enforcement Agent has to have had prior entry to force his way in - see Taking Control Of Goods, Schedule 12, Part 2, Para 15, Entry under Warrant.

Initial question specifically referred to council tax/nndr which is not a warrant it is a liability order so no forced entry except for default on a cga

Initial question specifically referred to council tax/nndr which is not a warrant it is a liability order so no forced entry except for default on a cga

The facility is there to allow a Warrant to be applied for should it be necessary regardless of the debt stream being followed. The chances of it happening for Council Tax is very remote unless someone has not paid for a long time but is showing signs of a more than comfortable lifestyle. This has been used on several occasions already although I have no proof of same or for what the debts have been for.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]