Changing broadband service provider

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3298 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Tonight I attempted to change my Internet and phone service provider from Talk Talk to Plusnet.

This became impossible because Plusnet would not accept my debit card details without a debit card nickname.

I have no idea what a debit card nickname is and I am therefore unable to provide one to Plusnet.

Does anyone know what on earth is going on here?

My debit card details are correct, I have money in my account and

a regular guaranteed pension income.

I asume I will have to look for another service provider who is happy with

my debit card details and doesn't require any crazy nickname.

I would also like to mention that I have been with the same bank since 1977 and have never

been asked for a nickname linked my debit card or anything else.

My current service provider is happy with my debit card details and requires no

nickname to obtain regular payments from me.

I have also paid for many other things using my debit card and have never been

asked to provide a nickname.

A card nickname is an entirely arbitrary field to allow you to set your own familiar name for the card - e.g. "My Card" or "Joint Account". You can call it whatever you like, just call it something!

And yes, I know it's a strange one that you've not come across, but they are trying to be helpfuk, honest! :lol:

There are 2 kinds of people in the world; Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

helpfuk, :lol:

I know it was a "typo". ............ But that had me in stitches :lol:

Cheers alchamist... You made my day. ... No offence intended

Tonight I attempted to change my Internet and phone service provider from Talk Talk to Plusnet.

Can't comment on the debit card nick name, it's a new one one me too...

However, watch out for one problem with T.T. when you instruct them to close the account. In the past, they would say "the cancellation failed to go through" and charge you an extra month or two for line rental & package fees. Tiscalli (which is now part of the Talk Talk group) tried to pull that little stunt on me. My response was "I refuse to accept liability for failures in your procedures or systems. Demand for payment is refused - If you want to argue about, do so in court."

Keep everything in writing (either email or letter) so that you have a paper trail should it be needed.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

I know it was a "typo". ............ But that had me in stitches :lol:

Cheers alchamist... You made my day. ... No offence intended

:!::oops:

(No offence taken! Just off to fire my typist ... :lol:)

There are 2 kinds of people in the world; Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

Can't comment on the debit card nick name, it's a new one one me too...

However, watch out for one problem with T.T. when you instruct them to close the account. In the past, they would say "the cancellation failed to go through" and charge you an extra month or two for line rental & package fees. Tiscalli (which is now part of the Talk Talk group) tried to pull that little stunt on me. My response was "I refuse to accept liability for failures in your procedures or systems. Demand for payment is refused - If you want to argue about, do so in court."

Keep everything in writing (either email or letter) so that you have a paper trail should it be needed.

I think it is just me but I have never had a problem switching. When I moved from TT to plusnet, I didn't even need to talk to TT as plusnet did it all for me. Everything went smoothly, I even kept mu old number and the BB was up and running when they said it would be.

I have been with Virgin, BT, TT and plusnet in the past 10 years. Never a problem. Am I just lucky??

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Thanks chaps for your excellent advice. I will proceed with caution.

Talk Talk are increasing the charge for internet and anytime calls by 33.3% from

the beginning of June. I have just received an incease in my private pension of 1.2%. I therefore need to find a cheaper service provider. Switching to Plusnet will save me around £13 per month which is excellent.

If you are able to pay the years line rental up front that is a good idea. You don't get the free calls that you would get with the monthly line rental but I use a call overrider to make my calls so after paying my line rental for the year, my monthly bill is a grand total of £2.50 :-)

I use 18185 as my call overrider and for landline calls, I get charged 5p connection charge and then 0p per minute

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE