Implications of Disability Discrimination Act on Financial Mis-selling

Kinnell
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3309 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Last year I was diagnosed with ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder), and it transpires that I've had this condition since childhood.

I'm now taking Methylphenidate, which has given me a bit more focus with detailed finances and small print etc.

The effects throughout life have been subtle but profound, and very destructive in a number of ways; though I masked it somewhat due to being quite intelligent in other areas.

One of the effects was (and still is) a difficulty working with figures and managing finances; it takes me about 4 times as long as a 'normal' person to deal with spreadsheets, complex calculations, financial concepts such as PPI etc.

Only very recently I realised the implications of this, in regard to PPI mis-selling and reclaiming charges.

It appears that, according to the Disability Discrimination Act, people should be covered against discrimination in regard to provision of Goods and Services:

nidirect(dot)gov(dot)uk/mental-health-and-the-disability-discrimination-act-dda

It would have been very difficult for me to fill out a loan or credit card form and make the right choices for my circumstances, and also to realise that something was wrong later.

Now, speaking to the Mental Health Professionals in my area, it appears that adult diagnosis of things like Bi-polar and ADHD is becoming increasingly common these days, due to more awareness and improved diagnostic tools.

It may be there is a whole demographic of the population who used to be just bracketed (like myself) 'bad with money', where they've actually been struggling with a hidden condition that impairs their ability to make accurate and timely choices regarding their finances. Worse, those that are 'good with money' have been preying on this trait for their own ends. I now feel, on the other side of the diagnostic 'curtain', like I've been 'milked' over the years, due to my naivety and poor skills with forms and numbers.

Ring any bells for anyone?

Can anyone point me to resources where Mental Disability has been used to get restitution, is there even a case for a US style Class Action suit?

Thanks, hope this helps anyways.