Question re insurance after a write off

wilko1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3297 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My daughter was involved in an accident where someone crashed into the back of her, her policy was due to expire 5 days later. The new policy was already set up with the same firm and the first payment had been made. She was told by her insurance that her car was a write off a few days after the new policy had started. What will happen to the new policy? surely she won't have to pay it, will it be null and void?

Opinions and advice will be appreciated.

They're two separate contracts so the second policy won't be affected although if they quoted the renewal premium without an accident they may adjust the premium to account for the accident and any reduction in no claims bonus

Similar thing happened to me, though my new policy was about 3 weeks old. Accident not my fault, insurance company would not refund the remaining 11 months on policy. Their reason was that my policy was for a year.

Similar thing happened to me, though my new policy was about 3 weeks old. Accident not my fault, insurance company would not refund the remaining 11 months on policy. Their reason was that my policy was for a year.

If this relatively recently, your Insurer should have allowed you to transfer a replacement vehicle onto the policy subject to any normal extra premium they would charge for covering that car

Accident 18th

Policy end date 22nd

New policy due to start 23rd

Car declared a write off 28th

The car wasn't drivable and was taken from the scene of the accident by the insurers repairer on the day of the accident i.e.18th.

On 30th she received an e-mail from the insurers saying that the new policy was cancelled as of the 30th and she has 7 days to reply and confirm the cancellation. They don't mention anything about charges. That's what I was trying to find out in my OP, would they try and make charges on a policy that wasn't due to start until after the accident had happened. I'm a bit wary of her confirming the cancellation date of the 30th, as this would imply that the policy had ran for 7 days and she would have something to pay. I was hoping that because the car was a write off before the start date then the new policy would simply be null and void. The e-mail also staes that, your policy is cancelled and will be deleted from the insurers' database, I'm hoping that bit is good news.Any advice is appreciatedthanks

Until you ask the Insurers how they wish to handle the cancellation / lapsing of the policy no one knows how they will propose to do it.

The best thing for you to do is to ask them, if they are looking to raise admin charges and charges for the cover provided then post back up with the amounts involved and we can answer the specific question