Housing Benefit Repayment?

ACEFR3HL3Y
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3317 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I have a query regarding housing benefit and possible repayment of 2 years worth of housing benefit.

I am writing on behalf of a family member. Due to extreme circumstances at the time, she left the marital home and was deemed homeless, having stayed in a hostel and a couple of other properties before a council property was found for her and her son. The marital home she left was bought and was in her and her husbands name. As an amicable monetary settlement could not be reached,(she was offered £16,000 cash if she took her name off the house that was jointly owed by her and her husband), it was then decided that the property should be sold. The house is now in the process of being sold and a buyer has been found. I would like to add that this family member has been unable to work due to a lifelong illness and was in receipt of Incapacity Benefit for the past 30 years. This has now changed to ESA(Income Based) but will save that for another thread , lol.

Basically this family member is concerned that she will have to pay, off the sale of the marital home, all the housing benefit and also all the benefits she has had, for the past two years, ie when she became homeless. I would like to make it clear, she is not in for a windfall of money, indeed, having to borrow from family and friends at the start when she had nowhere to live, no possessions etc, she was basically left with the clothes she had on and has had to build up everything again for her and her son. She is only receiving her half share of the sold home, nothing else. I wondered if there were any people in the forum that would be able to advise or has been in a similar situation, thnx

the value of the property can be disregarded for 6 months from the date she left - however after this the value of her share might impact upon benefit entitlement

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

Any money she receives from the sale of the home may affect her future benefit entitlement, but she will not be asked to repay benefits she has already received.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

can i just check that she did declare the property when she made her benefit claims?

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

If you receive a lump sum payment please remember that you are limited to the amount of savings you can have see below

Your income and savings

Your income may affect your income-related or contribution-based ESA. Income can include:

• you and your partner’s income
  • savings over £6,000
  • pension income

You won’t qualify for income-related ESA if you have savings over £16,000.

For full details see here https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/eligibility

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

Any money she receives from the sale of the home may affect her future benefit entitlement, but she will not be asked to repay benefits she has already received.

Yes, she's aware of that her benefit will be affected, many thanks for clearing that up

then there should not be a problem - she will just need to notify them if anything changes - such as receiving proceeds