HMRC 5yrs Late Filing - can I challenge any charges?

Perplexed14
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3331 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

In 2014, I filed tax returns for 2008/09, 2009/10, 2010/11, 2011/12 and 2012/13.... Yep, I know I was stupid but at least I'm clearing my conscience and paying them every last penny (last £30k to pay in a few days time through family loans and selling a property).

On a self declared basis, I owed them £38,000, now £48,000 with charges for late filing.

Until I filed, they had no idea how much I might owe them, they never sent any estimates etc, just letters saying I needed to file. They seem happy that the amount I've filed for (done by an accountant on my behalf). I was told that as the amount owed is a "declared amount" I can't "negotiate" any of the charges.

Does anyone know if any of the charges can be challenged and if so on what basis? (not using the rip off accountant any more so can't ask them)

Thanks

Hi,

In 2014, I filed tax returns for 2008/09, 2009/10, 2010/11, 2011/12 and 2012/13.... Yep, I know I was stupid but at least I'm clearing my conscience and paying them every last penny (last £30k to pay in a few days time through family loans and selling a property).

On a self declared basis, I owed them £38,000, now £48,000 with charges for late filing.

Until I filed, they had no idea how much I might owe them, they never sent any estimates etc, just letters saying I needed to file. They seem happy that the amount I've filed for (done by an accountant on my behalf). I was told that as the amount owed is a "declared amount" I can't "negotiate" any of the charges.

Does anyone know if any of the charges can be challenged and if so on what basis? (not using the rip off accountant any more so can't ask them)

Thanks

Is the "declared amount" what you / your accountant have declared is owed? (If so, why do you think the charges can be disputed if they are your own figures?)

If the "declared amount" is "declared" by HMRC : are these "determinations"?

I can advise in the time limits in which you can appeal determinations.

The "declared amount" is what me\accountant said is owed.

I just had a train of thought that if they didn't know what I owed until I declared it in 2014, it some how doesn't seem fair that I owe interest and fees.... A long shot, I know... but if I don't ask I'll never know....

The "declared amount" is what me\accountant said is owed.

I just had a train of thought that if they didn't know what I owed until I declared it in 2014, it some how doesn't seem fair that I owe interest and fees.... A long shot, I know... but if I don't ask I'll never know....

Seems fair and reasonable (in your own little universe ? !).

I can nip round your house, deprive you of some money you have saved / that is owed to you, then as long as you don't know about it, I don't owe you interest?? !

You didn't pay what you owed, when you were meant to pay it. Interest is owed (because you didn't pay it when it was due, else you wouldn't owe interest). You'll owe late filing penalty fees, again as a result of you not filing. You've been daft, and opened yourself up to those fees.

Be glad they aren't coming after you for "evasion" penalties.

Find yourself an accountant who isn't a rip-off. Keep you tax affairs up to date and you won't have to pay interest or late filing penalties.